Installed HD video cameras in my loft LOL

LamarshFish

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 26, 2015
I bought the Arlo Pro 2. It's a pretty expensive security camera. It came with two cameras and the hub. Long story short, my wife was not happy about the idea of the cameras in the house, because of the way they are always monitoring, it creeped her out. I didn't necessarily disagree. Then, a close friend of mine who is a major league computer security professional told me those kinds of cameras are super vulnerable to attacks and compromises, and that my wife is right to be creeped out by them being in our home.

Sooooo INSTEAD OF RETURNING THEM, since I got such a good cyber monday deal on them, I just installed them in my pigeon loft, and my goodness is it HYSTERICAL. Nonstop entertainment when I'm bored. To watch them when they don't think I'm watching them, it is just hilarious. And it is true, they really do conk out and sleep. My cameras have excellent night vision.

I recommend anybody on here with some spare change to spend on an expensive, totally useless toy to try this.

But, on a serious note, it is one way for me to make sure my birds have food and unspoiled water when I am out of town! Definitely lets me be more at ease.

I bought the Arlo Pro 2. It's a pretty expensive security camera. It came with two cameras and the hub. Long story short, my wife was not happy about the idea of the cameras in the house, because of the way they are always monitoring, it creeped her out. Then, a close friend of mine who is a major league computer security professional, told me those kinds of cameras are super vulnerable to attacks and compromises, and that my wife is right to be creeped out by them being in our home.

Sooooo INSTEAD OF RETURNING THEM, I just installed them in my pigeon loft, and my goodness is it HYSTERICAL. Nonstop entertainment when I'm bored. To watch them when they don't think I'm watching them, it is just hilarious. And it is true, they really do conk out and sleep. My cameras have excellent night vision.

I recommend anybody on here with some spare change to spend on an expensive, totally useless toy to try this.

But, on a serious note, it is one way for me to make sure my birds have food and unspoiled water when I am out of town! Definitely lets me be more at ease.

That is soooo cool! I am jealous.
I am creeped out by the camera on my tablet - covered it with tape.:oops:

Wow that is so cool! Ive wanted to do that. Have you observed much behavior you didnt know they did?

Well, I knew they sleep, of course they have to, but I have never actually seen them sleeping, so that's new. I've seen them stretch and do yoga moves a lot, but didn't know how often they do that lol. They sit in there and stretch a lot. They also seem to exercise a lot (flap their wings like they're flying), maybe since they don't get let out this time of the year due to hawk season.

Mine are right outside my office window so I can always see what they are up to and don't need a camera.

I think its cute when they all snuggle in one huge pile on the floor of the coop to sunbath. They never do that if I am outside or near them, and I would have no idea they did this behaviour unless I could sneakily peek through my blinds.

What a totally great use of the system! The night vision part is especially cool, and I love the idea of being able to watch them if I'm out of town. On the other hand, I already spend an incredible amount of time watching my poultry through the windows. Would I ever get anything done if I could watch them 'round the clock?

I think its cute when they all snuggle in one huge pile on the floor of the coop to sunbath. They never do that if I am outside or near them, and I would have no idea they did this behavior unless I could sneakily peek through my blinds.

Interesting to hear. My pigeons actually do that when I'm around. If I get too close to the aviary some of them will disperse though, and some of them don't care and will stay laying down on one wing very relaxed.

Ok, some news on another thing I've learned now that I can watch them when they don't know I'm watching them. They (or at least one of them) appear to know how the bob doors work FROM THE INSIDE. Twice now I have caught (and watched live as it happened) one of them grabbing onto a single bob wire with both of their feet, hold onto it, and fluttering its wings lifting the bob wire upwards. This bird apparently understands the way the one way bob door works LOL.

Not sure if it's all pigeons, or just my strain of homers, but there's something about my birds and opening stuff. Not sure if you guys remember, but a while back I had my aviary opening blocked off (when it was too windy) with a piece of wood and four barrel bolts, and every time I'd put that door on the aviary my birds would literally UNLOCK each barrel bolt so the door thing would just fall off. This happened numerous times. If you know how barrel bolts work, there's really no way they can just "come undone". These little ninjas were pecking at the bolts and twisting them open. Not surprising they had the idea to peck at the barrel bolts, perhaps before they knew they could open them, because they have a tendancy to peck at anything shiny that is new to them.

Last edited:
Ok, some news on another thing I've learned now that I can watch them when they don't know I'm watching them. They (or at least one of them) appear to know how the bob doors work FROM THE INSIDE. Twice now I have caught (and watched live as it happened) one of them grabbing onto a single bob wire with both of their feet, hold onto it, and fluttering its wings lifting the bob wire upwards. This bird apparently understands the way the one way bob door works LOL.

Not sure if it's all pigeons, or just my strain of homers, but there's something about my birds and opening stuff. Not sure if you guys remember, but a while back I had my aviary opening blocked off (when it was too windy) with a piece of wood and four barrel bolts, and every time I'd put that door on the aviary my birds would literally UNLOCK each barrel bolt so the door thing would just fall off. This happened numerous times. If you know how barrel bolts work, there's really no way they can just "come undone". These little ninjas were pecking at the bolts and twisting them open. Not surprising they had the idea to peck at the barrel bolts, perhaps before they knew they could open them, because they have a tendancy to peck at anything shiny that is new to them.
Or did they also watch you closing the bolts?
One of mine can pull up a bob from the inside too.:D

Back
Top Bottom