Instant Chicken Rescue

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by foundhenfarm, Jan 24, 2014.

1. foundhenfarm

foundhenfarm New Egg

Jan 24, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Only four months ago did chickens come into my life….. accidentally! On my property, we have many strange creatures living in our house. We are constantly surrounded by chickens from neighbors to horse barns we go to, but I wasn't expecting we'd get any ourselves any time soon. My neighbor had several ducks which I looked after every week she'd jumped back and forth from her parents home a three hour plane ride away to her home here, and I knew I had a love for little poultry birds.

One day, driving on the small highway near our home, me, my mom, and my good fiend spotted to black australorp chickens on the edge of the road. We quickly drove home, grabbed a crate, and drove back to the highway. After we pulled over and jumped out, it took us hours to capture them, and luckily they (and us) didn't get hit by a car. We immediately took then=m to the local police station and they said that they had been there for over a week and none of the farms surrounding claimed them. After speaking with the animal control officer, they were our if we wanted.

That's when me and my friends went to work. We spent 6 hours building a temporary coop using turkey wire and under the bay window of my house. We did everything required for a safe coop then and there. Sadly, the coop is having trouble holding up to the heavy wet snow on the ground, but we are almost finished with our fancy new coop that we are building.

We tested them with the wildlife center to check for salmonella, and any diseases. All negative. They also concluded that they were under a year old. About a month after, they started laying eggs! Now, we are a dedicated chicken rescue where we are allowing chickens to live out their lives in a happy, secure place.
    The two black "roadside" hens took the names of Georgia and Bean.
    Thanks to those two ladies, I've found a new passion.

This was them on day one: (Georgia right Bean Left)
    [​IMG]Bean today:) [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Love your story, and beautiful birds! What luck that they turned out to be hens [​IMG]

3. BrickWall Honey

BrickWall Honey Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2013
    Accomac, Va.
    Nice story and beginning Welcome in

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Beautiful birds! [​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Georgia and Bean are two lucky hens.

6. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Wow, you can definitely tell they were young. Look at the size of those combs and waddles now, though. Amazing work.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Great that you took them in and they rewarded you by being females. I'm wondering though, when the police said no one claimed them, was it the police or animal control that dumped them out on the street. Somehow they ended up there and that was downright cruel.

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hi there, [​IMG] and welcome to BYC!

How nice of you to rescue those birds!! Black Australorps are such sweet birds too. Very affectionate and docile. Mine follow me around like drooling puppies and beg to sit on my lap.

Good luck with your rescue chickens and enjoy all your poultry adventures!!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. Its good that you helped some poor wayward hens-- they seem very healthy and beautiful!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by