instant mash potatoes??

This is an old thread but I feel the need to voice a warning. Don’t let your birds eat a large quantity of dry (unreconstituted) instant mashed potatoes. When they drink water, the potatoes will expand in their crop or stomach and make them very sick or conceivably kill them. Many years ago, I had a boyfriend who did this (go figure) and became very ill.

Did Ann Landers tell you that? Abby's twin sister also advised against feeding song birds rice for the same reason. Let the birds be birds, and like one poster here has already said, take everything most people tell you with a grain of salt.

The real truth is that a birds crop or 1st stomach is designed to hydrate or make dry grains swell up in preparation to being ground up in the gizzard.

This is an old thread but I feel the need to voice a warning. Don’t let your birds eat a large quantity of dry (unreconstituted) instant mashed potatoes. When they drink water, the potatoes will expand in their crop or stomach and make them very sick or conceivably kill them. Many years ago, I had a boyfriend who did this (go figure) and became very ill.

I'm trying to kill rats by pouring instant mashed potatoes down their rat holes. I've got barriers up to prevent the chickens from getting in there. I am a little worried that one could die if they get past my barriers and eat it.

Did Ann Landers tell you that? Abby's twin sister also advised against feeding song birds rice for the same reason. Let the birds be birds, and like one poster here has already said, take everything most people tell you with a grain of salt.

The real truth is that a birds crop or 1st stomach is designed to hydrate or make dry grains swell up in preparation to being ground up in the gizzard.

Oh Gosh, I sure hope you are right! I'm trying to kill rats with instant potatoes and was worried if the chickens got past my barriers. I know their crops can become quite large.

Lol replying to the old thread again.....your boyfriend ate the instant mash potatoes dry?.........👀 lol

Back
Top Bottom