Instant Oatmeal???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by scooby, Nov 7, 2008.

1. scooby

scooby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    sevier valley,utah
    I have a ton of those instant oatmeal packets and we dont really eat them too often, and i know cooked oatmeal is ok for treats but these packets are the kind that are flavored, apple & cinnamon and maple & brownsugar, would it be ok for my 12 week olds?

2. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I feed it to my girls all the time when the little kids don't finish it for breakfast. They will love it!

3. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    great to know cause no one eats the cinnamon raisin ones...guess the girls are getting a hot breakfast tomorrow

4. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I do to, they really like it!! [​IMG] [​IMG] I fed mine..well I should say my chickens ate chicken skin that I had cut off the chicken I was going to fry. I put it out for Ruby and Mabel. They didn't get any!! [​IMG] I think chickens will eat about any thing. Don't you? DJ

5. bkbuz1987

bkbuz1987 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Now that the nights are getting colder I give make my chickens a combo of warm instant oats and crumble with some applesauce.

Spoiled rotten I know [​IMG]

6. sammy

sammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    can you feed the oats dry or do they need to be cooked ??

[​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Better to cook the oats, I've read. It's something about..well, Diana (dlunicorn) posted something about it. Sorry, I forgot the reason that cooked is better! Geez, cant remember anything these days. [​IMG]

8. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    In the mornings I fix a cup of instant oatmel to 2 cups of water in the microwave for 1 minute then I mix in the left over veges from dinner the night before and 1 cup of scratch. They love it [​IMG]

9. maine chicks

maine chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    maine
    My girls love any warm oatmeal on a cold morning-instant or old fashioned

10. dastardlydeed

dastardlydeed Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2008
    Hatboro, Pa
    aawwww mamas after my own heart!

morning and evening i give my eight small bantams a pan of 1 cup cooked grits, 1 cup cooked oatmeal, with veggies, and leftovers. they love it and you know there always has to be one or two standing in the middle, warming their feet!

they LOVE peas and corn. none will eat cooked carrots.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by