instinctivly driven creatures nothing more than organic robots?

Dust Bunny

Songster
9 Years
Jan 30, 2010
in the big freakin chip truck
something has bothered me for several years
old.gif
...and that is the notion that creatures that depend heavily apon instincts for survival (
D.gif
chickens for example) are somehow less worthy of life than creatures that acquire their necessary life skills through the process of learning, that somehow instinct limits ones ability to enjoy life, feel emotions (such as fear) and to perceive pain, now please dont get me wrong i am NOT a vegatarian or vegan (nor do i disrespect the vegatarian/vegan point of view) i am simply raising the question as to where this mindset comes from? is it a way to rationalize using/eating animals or perhaps just humans feeling self righteous and superior?
cool.png
i for one am envious of the instinctivly driven creatures! the more i think about it the most powerfull and meaningfull things in life are driven by instinct, the powerfull drive to find a suitable mate and procreate (
love.gif
remember those teenage years?) the profound bond between a parent and child
hugs.gif
not to mention urge to take in sustanance (
droolin.gif
cheesecake mmmmm) i just wonder why people speak of animal instinct with so much distain? i wish i was born knowing all i needed to know to get through life! would it not be totaly cool to be born already educated?!
celebrate.gif
people often wonder why i chose to have pets such as chickens, like they are a waste of my affection!
somad.gif
ironically i find my birds far more personable, pleasant and INTELLIGENT than those people
tongue2.gif

Last edited:
If it helps, anyone who says that chickens or other animals are operating on instinct are taking a simplistic viewpoint. First of all, all animals (including people) have instincts. Second, all animals have the capacity for learning and do learn. You can teach things to chickens, you can train them. That requires learning.

For instance, hens teach thier offspring how to find food and shelter. Obviously, that is an aquired skill.

Last edited:
I too am rather envious of animals that have more instincts than humans. Sometimes having to make a lot of choices is just difficult. Would be nice to just go with your instinct and not have to decide.
smile.png

I like your perspective! And I agree, just because an animal is driven primarily by instinct doesn't mean it doesn't deserve respect and care.
smile.png
The only reason humans have been able to go above the usual fight for survival is the use of tools that has allowed us to take care of our basic needs, giving us free time to do other things (including learning, storytelling, and all those sorts of tings). Other animals don't have that liberty, or haven't had it long enough to truly evolve away from needing to spend most of their time providing for their basic needs. It doesn't mean they don't have feelings, minds, or thoughts. They're just a bit different from ours, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. After all, my chickens seem to live pretty happy and fulfilling lives, if you ask me!

If it makes you feel better, there are several studies out indicating animals have much fewer "instincts" than once thought, and that our idea of what instinct is is fundamentally flawed.

I am going to bed because I'm tired as all get out, but tomorrow I'll start rifling through my papers to try and find you the exact studies I'm referring to.

i guess im just a little mad at my father in law
barnie.gif
i was looking up stuff on you tube and showed him "stroszek: the dancing chicken"
D.gif
and he said something along the lines of oh look at that dumb chicken! it thinks its scratching! how stupid! ha ha ha
lau.gif
they just run on instinct, oh how stupid! ha ha ha! oh how that made me mad!
somad.gif
this is not the first time people have expresed this kind of sentiment, nor is this the first time i have been bent outa shape by this type of thinking!!!
rant.gif
errrr! i used to have rats as pets, YES RATS! and people would give me a hard time about them as well! now im not talkin about the vermin in the coup, you gota do what you gota do,
hit.gif
im talkin about rattus domesticus the dometicated rat! you know, that all purpose lab animal that we should all be thanking instead of cursing for the sacrifices they have made for us and our pets!
bow.gif
people have given me crud for YEARS about having rats for pets and i am so much more than irritated about it!
he.gif

Last edited:
I understand! (and have deleted a whole bunch of stuff, basically agreeing with your point, dustbunny)

Back
Top Bottom