Instructions On How To Cut Feathers Properly (Flight Feathers)

Awestruck

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2012
Where would I find information on how to cut the flight feathers of my chickens? I would really like to have a picture of this. My little chicks have just sprouted wings (they are about 2 weeks old). One of them has figured out how to get on top of the feeder, so I am using a smaller jar on the feeder. It's only a matter of time, probably not very many days, when they will figure out how to fly out of their bin. I definitely don't want them roaming the house as they could get stepped on if someone doesn't see them. I just ordered some scissors so I can cut their wings. Thanks for all the help here.

Nobody in their correct thinking cuts chicks feathers. Cover their brooder area with some netting. When your chickens are adult hens and are flying over your 6 foot fence then it can be done.
WISHING YOU SINCERE BEST, and do not take my opinion offensively.
hugs.gif

Hi! I would recommend waiting until they are a little older to cut their wings. Our chickens' wings are cut, because unfortunately our layout requires it, but if you can, I would recommend putting chicken wire or hardware cloth over the bin that they are kept in, or transferring the to a dog crate for now. If you have to cut their wings as they get older, this link will show you how. Good luck!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-clip-trim-the-wings-of-your-chicken-to-prevent-flight

You can also look it up on Youtube. You have to decide for yourself whether you want to clip one or both wings, but personally I clip both. There are controversial views on this.

Back
Top Bottom