insulated coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sadye, Mar 6, 2015.

1. sadye

sadye New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    Taunton Ma
    I'm about to start construction on my coop.I have pallets for the frame, ply for finishing the outside (my kids want to paint it "cute"), and panel board to finish the inside. All "salvaged" materials. My question is, I have a ton of Styrofoam from some furniture I bought. People's thoughts on putting the foam in the walls, where my chickens can not get it, for insulation. I have no other use I can think of for it and hate to throw it away...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would not put it in the coop for several reasons. Mainly, coops need to "breathe," or have plenty of ventilation. Even in the North, old fashioned coos were often built with spaces between the boards for air movement. Chickens need some good sized openings in a coop in any climate, to allow their moisture and ammonia from them and their poop to eescape from the coop.

You should also know that chickens will eat styrofoam. They seem to love it. It usually passes through harmlessly, but it sure can cause some loss of nourishment!

Please check out the first two links in my signature, if you haven't already. These are excellent information.

Good luck!

3. sadye

sadye New Egg

Feb 8, 2015
    Taunton Ma
    I should have mentioned. I'm putting in two large windows and am keeping my eaves poem for ventilation. The for will be a screen door for warmer months and a tradition "barn style" for winter.

4. yellowchicks

yellowchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2014
    NJ
    My Coop
    Styrofoam will deteriorate if it is exposed to moisture, it is not a close-cell material so a layer of moisture barrier is needed. It is alright as a temporary insulation at where the chickens can not get to, but not to permanently installed in the walls.

I have an insulated coop (R-6 insulation value) and double pane windows. I keep most windows opened throughout the winter to vent so the temperature and humidity inside the coop is about the same as outside.

I finally figure out the advantage of coop insulation after this long miserable winter: It blocks the loud morning egg songs from my neighbor's bedroom windows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by