Insulation- bubble foil?

CluckyInKY

In the Brooder
May 29, 2016
Utica, KY
We are installing the roof to the coop this weekend. It will be our last step of construction and then I'll get to start making it pretty with paint, inside layout & decor!
We were given bubble wrap insulation for our roof and it looks like will will have quite a bit leftover. Can I use this on the walls as well? I was thinking I could cover the insulation on the bottom 2 ft with FRP (the stuff used on walls in commercial kitchens) to keep it from getting soiled. Would that be high enough for both cleanliness and safety of my girls? I know chickens will peck/eat other forms of insulation, but I'm unfamiliar with the bubble foil. It's a raised coop, so insulating the floor won't be a problem.
It's a 4x8 lean-to with the front wall at 6' sloping to 5'. It's 2' off the ground and the walls are 1/2" OSB (floors are 3/4"). I plan on putting siding up in the fall before the first freeze. I also have five (2'x1') shutter-style windows, secure & vented with hardware cloth. We have temps that get above 100 in the summer with high humidity, and winter temps can stay below freezing for days/weeks at a time. It does snow here in western Kentucky quite a bit for being considered a southern state! With the floor and ceiling both insulated, would I even need wall insulation? Would it be overkill?

Any suggestions are appreciated! I'm new to chickens and coop construction, and this has been a lot to figure out. I just want my girls to be happy & healthy!

What's your average temperature in the winter? I live in North Dakota where we commonly get down to -20F daily, not including wind chill, and my birds don't have insulation and they are totally fine.
I have never lost a bird to the cold temperatures

What's your average temperature in the winter? I live in North Dakota where we commonly get down to -20F daily, not including wind chill, and my birds don't have insulation and they are totally fine.
I have never lost a bird to the cold temperatures

I would say the average would be around 20-25 during the coldest part of winter (jan-March). Sometimes it can be WAY colder, around 0 plus wind chill. Then, we also have a few random days where it's in the 50's and sunny. You never know what you're going to get around here! I feel like I have to be prepared for whatever Mother Nature throws my way.
It's good to hear that they fair well in the cold!

Back
Top Bottom