Insulation question

Lizard Lady

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 29, 2011
I was out in my coop yesterday and noticed there are no drafts but it's **** cold! We've been dropping into single digits over night, with 20s for the highs during the day. The coop was here when we bought the house so it's not my design or anything. The boards are barebacked, and I was wondering if I could use cardboard as a makeshift insulation until it's warm enough to get out there and work on the coop. (Yes, I'm a total ninny when it comes to cold, icy, snowy weather)

Has anyone tried cardboard as insulation?

In Canada I am subject to -40º cold snaps. I do NOT heat my coop. Murphy's law says my birds will find out what -40 is all about when my hydro goes out. Regardless what you decide feed extra Corn over the winter you will not be sorry.

Or something like this may help also; You could even knit a hoodie for those extra cold days..

Last edited:
Chickens (like all animals) are designed to be accustomed to outside living. The only reason to insulate and/or heat a coop is to make the Owner feel better and give the local Electric Utility some extra revenue.

My chickens ate the cardboard and insulation. They don't really need it for warmth. The pack together to sleep and retain heat. Chickens need to be kept dry and out of the wind. Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom