Integrated new chickens into flock for a month, first night in coop together

Hi everyone- wondering if anyone can offer input/advice/reassurace: some quick background..

A little over a month ago, I introduced two 8 month old EE hens to my flock of 4 (4 three year old hens). We quarantined for a month and then integrated them all together- just providing separate night time roosting areas. The two new chickens have been choosing to roost overnight in one section and the original four in the other, separate section. During the day, they all mingle. They are definitely tolerating each other more but I still see a divide between the two groups- my one original RSL being especially scrappy with the two new hens (will do some pecking and chasing- nothing major but pretty consistent).

Tonight we decided to put the two newer hens in the same coop with the original 4. We did it at nightfall when they were all pretty much settled and hunkered down for rest. There is an opening on the bottom of the coop that allows the chickens to go into the protected run and access the other roosting area.

Should I try and go down and wake everyone up earlier than usual to ensure there is no fighting when they all wake up/get down from the roost? Will they probably be fine? I feel better knowing they can escape to the run if need be but I worry about aggressive pecking.

Thank you!

Hi everyone- wondering if anyone can offer input/advice/reassurace: some quick background..

A little over a month ago, I introduced two 8 month old EE hens to my flock of 4 (4 three year old hens). We quarantined for a month and then integrated them all together- just providing separate night time roosting areas. The two new chickens have been choosing to roost overnight in one section and the original four in the other, separate section. During the day, they all mingle. They are definitely tolerating each other more but I still see a divide between the two groups- my one original RSL being especially scrappy with the two new hens (will do some pecking and chasing- nothing major but pretty consistent).

Tonight we decided to put the two newer hens in the same coop with the original 4. We did it at nightfall when they were all pretty much settled and hunkered down for rest. There is an opening on the bottom of the coop that allows the chickens to go into the protected run and access the other roosting area.

Should I try and go down and wake everyone up earlier than usual to ensure there is no fighting when they all wake up/get down from the roost? Will they probably be fine? I feel better knowing they can escape to the run if need be but I worry about aggressive pecking.

Thank you!
Yes they will probably be fine. And yes of course go and supervise very early in the morning!
Just saying what I would do - but I do tend to worry.

Back
Top Bottom