Integrating 10 week old chicks with 2 grown hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jymdhm, Jul 18, 2011.

1. jymdhm

jymdhm Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    We have six 10-week old chicks that have been in a separate coup than the grown-ups (2 hens and 1 rooster). Currenlty, the two coups are side by side so they can see each other and they all free-range together although the chicks seem to stay by themselves I think it is time to put them all together in one coup. Any suggestions?

2. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    It should be fine. I just put 2 six week old in with 18 hens and a rooster. They did not even care that there was new ones in there. I would suggest to watch them for about 15 minutes and if the hens look like they are trying to actively kill the babies, then take them out. Otherwise just check on them ever once and a while during the day and make sure the babies go in the coop at night.

3. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    Quote:That's good to know! I have seven 5weeks old and thinking to put them with my 1year old hens.
    Right now, 5weeks old are staying outside in fenced in area during the day time. They can see each others but wasn't sure if big ones would bother little one...

4. ChickenDayz

ChickenDayz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Mudford
    I have 4 ten week olds and they all free range in the garden but they are separated by a fence.... I am tempted to remove the fence at the weekend... They have 1440 sq feet to run around so I am sure that they can run away if chased... Lol

The three grown up girls will hopefully get bored ...eventually! It is a worry though... I hate to see them being bullied...

Need to work out the feed situation though as the youngsters are on growers pellets ....

good luck with your integration xx

5. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    A few days ago, I put out my little ones with big ones. They are happy to be free ranged.
    Big ones pecked them here and there but wasn't bad.
    They are 7weeks old now and I'm going to put them in the coop for night at first time tonight...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by