Integrating 2 month old silkies with group

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hayley3, Oct 27, 2007.

1. hayley3

hayley3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Hi,
    I hatched 2 silkie eggs 2 months ago. I have kept them separate from my 4 chickens and my one silkie roo. The other day I tried to introduce them and one chicken pecked at the baby and then the roo did the same thing.
    At night I have the babies in the same stall but they are in a cage so no one can get to them.
    I know that one of the babies is a roo because he has tried to crow. The two babies fight each other sometims, although it is not what I call real fighting. They don't do it all the time and seem to get along the rest of the time.
    I wanted them to show at 4 H and I wanted a female to produce eggs and I'm not sure I got one.

My question is I'd like for them to hang out with the other birds. At what age will they accept them? They free range around the barn.
    Also is the fighting between the two babies a warning sign of both of them being roos?
    Since silkies are rather gentle, will the roos eventually get along? I read the other person's question about roos getting along. I was just wondering if maybe silkies might be more apt to get along.
    Thanks,
    Susie

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  2. Gracie_Chickie

Gracie_Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Indiana
    You should try to introduce them a little every day but monitor them closely. My older chickens picked on the younger chickens, but after a while they seemed to all be friendly to each other. But If they keep hurting eachother then take them a way for a short while and reintroduce them
    Goodluck

3. sam

sam New Egg

Oct 29, 2007
    I think the friendly rooster thing depends on the rooster. The only silky rooster I know is a holy terror to everyone he encounters. He is far worse than any of the other roosters in the barn. Depending on what you mean by sort of fighting, it may be normal "chicken play" where they charge at each other without actually pecking. It is kinda like the game chicken, where they run at each other and see who backs down first. If this is what they are doing, it doesn't mean that they both are roosters. My 3 hens played this game all the time with each other when they were growing up. And I'd like to add that my little silky hen, Gertie, took on a bantam rooster I tried to introduce into the flock. She went after him like a rooster would attack another rooster. She beat him up so much, I had to move him to a different pen. Hope this helps Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by