Integrating 2 small flocks

SparrowSong

Chirping
6 Years
May 20, 2013
Hi, I have 3 adult chickens and 3 (3-month old) chickens, one of which is a rooster. I've kept the younger ones in a temporary coop next to the bigger ones thus far. I let them all out to forage during the day, but they pretty much stay separate except when forced together; then, the leader of the older chickens shows her dominance.

What is the best way to get them to become one flock? Both coops are too small to do the "playpen" method one inside of the other (bigger coop is 2-level, with the nest boxes and roost on top, and forage area underneath, but it's not very high underneath, and the door is too small to put much in there except chickens.)

Thanks for any help!

Chickens are more likely to coexist peacefully side by side as two flocks than to merge into one flock, at least for a long time, like months. If they have lived next to each other all this time, it should be long enough to allow them together and work out their differences, which shouldn't be too violent. But it is much more likely to work out well if they have a generous amount of space to do this in. It really sounds like you need a larger outdoor area to ensure a peaceful transition.

Thank you, Judy. That's the problem... if I put them all into one coop and there is trouble, there's not much space for the younger ones to run and get away. Is there anything I could do to "help" them get along and make the transition quick and painless?

Back
Top Bottom