Integrating 6 week old chicks

savedlakers

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2015
I have 6 six week old chicks. One of them had been pecking the feathers of all of the other chicks. After trying separating the flock into two brooders (3 and 3) using blu cote and Vicks vaper rub all to no avail I finally needed to isolate her in her own brooder. So now I have 3 on one brooder 2 in another and my pecker by herself. Since the feathers have been coming in nicely with my other chicks my plan is to integrate my five chicks in the coop and then in a week or so try to integrate my pecker. I'm not sure what the best way is to combine the first two groups and then try out my pecker. Any help would be appreciated as this is my first time at this.

Pecking is often a sign of crowded situation. At six weeks, they are going to be needing a lot more space than when you first got them. Getting them all into a bigger space, I am betting will cure a lot of problems.

As soon as you can, I would put them all in the coop. It will be strange to all of them. It should have more space. Make sure that you have a couple of hideouts, a couple of different levels, like a pallet up on blocks, so that birds can get out of sight of each other. A couple of places to roost. The more they have to crawl on, jump up on, run around and explore, the less bored they will be, and the less problems you will have.

Mrs K

Pecking is often a sign of crowded situation. At six weeks, they are going to be needing a lot more space than when you first got them. Getting them all into a bigger space, I am betting will cure a lot of problems.

As soon as you can, I would put them all in the coop. It will be strange to all of them. It should have more space. Make sure that you have a couple of hideouts, a couple of different levels, like a pallet up on blocks, so that birds can get out of sight of each other. A couple of places to roost. The more they have to crawl on, jump up on, run around and explore, the less bored they will be, and the less problems you will have.

Mrs K
Agrees....I assume that there are no other chickens already living in the coop?

Thank you for the feedback. There are no other chickens on the coop. My husband is finishing building the run so I will try bringing them all out this weekend.

Thank you for the feedback. There are no other chickens on the coop. My husband is finishing building the run so I will try bringing them all out this weekend.
You can leave them just in the coop for a week or two, better to do that actually.
It'll help them get back inside at sunset if they 'home' to just the coop first.

My chicks are 6 weeks old as well. The run isn't finished but they've just been staying in the coop for about 2 weeks now. They were getting way to big for their brooder tub. They are much happier!

Last edited:
Mine are definitely looking like they are outgrowing their brooders as well. I'm looking forward to getting them in the coop tomorrow
1f603.png

Ok so I brought all of my chicks outside into the run for about 15 mins before setting them up in the coop which they will be in pretty exclusively for the next week. Within five mins my chick who has been isolated from the flock for the past three days began going after and pecking the other chicks. I brought her back inside her brooder. She is so sweet with me. I am at a loss with what to do.

I'm pretty new to chickens and don't have much experience with chicken problems but, I would put the "pecky" chick in a dog kennel or cage of some kind within the run and/or coop. That way she would be with the others but separated until everyone gets used to each other.

Back
Top Bottom