Integrating a few new layers

rd200

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 16, 2011
I have 7 layers in the chicken tractor right now. There was 1 younger one that I tried to introduce a few months ago but they pecked the heck out of her and there was blood everywhere so I took her out. She's completely healed now but has been by herself for a while now. I'm not currently getting enough eggs so I am getting 4 more layers today. I want to add everyone together in the tractor. How ???
I was thinking of adding the new ones to the 1 alone when I get them home, and then tomorrow putting all 5 in an enclosure right next to the tractor so they can smell/see each other and then maybe the next day adding them all in the tractor?? My thinking is, if there are 5 new ones....they won't pick on just ONE like what happened last time when I added just one.
Does this sound like a good idea? Or how would you do it to make it an easier transition? Thanks!!

Your plan should work. I would give them a few days at the initial putting the new ones with the single and a few days of through the wire before putting them together in the tractor.

How much space do you have? How big(feet by feet) is the tractor and how big is the other enclosure?

Space is key to integration because of the stress of not enough room for them to be able to get away from each other if needed.

Back
Top Bottom