integrating a hen recovered from injuries caused by other hens

JosiesMom

Chirping
Apr 9, 2019
One of my hens was molting heavily especially from her back end. When I took a snack out to the girls, she was missing and I found her wedged between the nesting boxes and the walls. She had lost most of the feathers all over her back end, her wings were injured and she was limping. I moved her into a cage in the garage and after months of TLC she is now completely healed. I really would like to integrate her back in with the other girls, but I am not sure how to do it, or how soon to do it. It is winter here and wonder if I should wait until spring.

Anytime would be best. I suggest putting her into a decently sized metal dog kennel/crate for a week or 2, so the others can get used to her without actually hurting her. Will there be pecking and scuffling? Of course, you just need to let them assemble a pecking order, but obviously be there in case anything serious goes on. They should eventually accept her and she'll have a place within the pecking order again.

I’m not sure how many chickens you have in your flock or how old they are but if you have another coop to put her and some of the nicer ones in then she should be able to integrate herself back into the flock in no time.

Anytime would be best. I suggest putting her into a decently sized metal dog kennel/crate for a week or 2, so the others can get used to her without actually hurting her. Will there be pecking and scuffling? Of course, you just need to let them assemble a pecking order, but obviously be there in case anything serious goes on. They should eventually accept her and she'll have a place within the pecking order again.
I assume I should put the kennel inside the coop rather than out in the run?? Or should it be moved out during the day and in at night?

Could also try putting her in the coop house in the evening once all the others have settled in to roost and keep an eye on them all in the morning to make sure they don’t pick on her.

Back
Top Bottom