Integrating a new chicken.....

RobotChicken

Chicken TV Addict
11 Years
Oct 16, 2008
Colorado Baby!
So tomorrow I think I will be adopting a white leghorn from someone here in town. The chicken was getting pecked on by the other white leghorn in the flock, she has been separated from the flock for a month and yesterday she tried to reintroduce the chicken to the flock and the poor thing wouldn't go back into the coop.

So along comes me, I've seen people talking about the gradual methods for introducing a new bird, but I am wondering about the quick method, putting her in the coop at night while they are sleeping and just letting them wake up together.......

What I am wondering is which method is better for this chicken, I find the quick method appealing because I don't have to keep her separated and slowly introduce them to each other.

If you have other chickens you should isolate the new chicken for a few weeks to make sure you do not introduce a new illness in to your flock. Once you determine no illnesses you should put her in a pen separate from the other chickens but in such a way that they can see each other. one week later try and introduce her to the flock. Watch for any pecking or harassment. Some in fighting is normal but should not last long.

Agreed. I think SpeckledHen has posted a must-do for integrating new chickens into an existing flock (might be someone else, I forget), but it's a post on BYC that says 30-days isolation minimum. I did a quick search but couldn't find the link. I bet with a few minutes you can find it no problem. Again, I might have the author wrong. Thanks.

Please quarantine your new chicken for 30 to 45 days!!! There was a post earlier today from a BYCer that brought home a new Roo a few days ago that infected her entire (large) flock. She may have to cull some or all of her flock!! NOT worth the risk!!!

Yes knew a person who bought 6 hens at an auction. All of his 20 original hens died from an illness brought in on the new hens. The 6 he bought survived. Lesson learned.

I agree with the other posts. Quatentine for at least 30 days before you introduce the new bird to your existing flock. Someone on BYC has a page on introducing new birds to existing flocks. If I can find it I will post it. It is very good reading and informative.

I wish quarantine was enough to make sure the new chicken was safe to mingle with your flock. Some do not show any symptoms at all but are carriers. After a hard lesson , I only rear day old chicks to add to my flock. Be sure to take care of your old flock first each day. change shoes and over clothing also wash up. There are some really mean bugs for chickens to catch. Really watch your security. Good luck Jean

I will be watching this thread for ideas. I am trying to do a little rearranging myself. I have three RIRs and one Barred Rock together. Then I also have two Barred Rocks separate in a chicken tractor. I had to split them up that way because of limited housing space, and I did not want to over-crowd them. Now I am wanting to move my two Barred Rocks in a bigger area and add the other Barred Rock in with the two. I realize now that having only two chickens together is probably not a good idea. If something happens to the one, the other chicken is all alone. Anyway, I have been letting the two Barred Rocks out to free range with that one Barred Rock. I have been watching them closely when they are out together. Because they absolutely love scratch, I am using that as a positive reinforcement. So far, they are gradually getting used to each other. At first there was some fighting that I had to break up but not anymore, although I have witnessed some pecking from the one Barred Rock who appears to be trying to gain status as top chicken. I guess some of that is normal, but I am still not comfortable putting them together yet.

Well I picked her up, I have her in isolation. When I first put her there she kinda stared at me for a minute or two then just started scratching around at the ground. Her nails are HUGE, she has been isolated from the other chickens for the past month in a little cage, so I don't think she has really been able to scratch around on the ground much. Then a short while later she sat down and started dust bathing, which didn't work too well since the dirt was so damp.

So for now she is just hanging out and eating feed. Gonna be a boring month.

Here she is last night:
chicks155.jpg

Back
Top Bottom