Integrating a new pullet

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BLaBauve, Dec 16, 2009.

1. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I have 3, 9 month old girls in a large coop (2 BLRW, 1 RIR). I have a smaller grow up pen with 3 other small pullets. One of the pullets is a Brahma which is about 4-5 months now, and almost the size of my older girls. She seems too big for the grow up pen. . . so we put her in with the big girls today (They've seen each other through wire for about a month now). They've all pecked her a little bit and she runs away, but it really didn't seem very vicious. The most submissive hen picks on her the most. I know I should not have put her in there alone, but the other chicks are much smaller than her. Tonight I'm hoping they'll all roost together. My worry is come morning, I won't make it outside until 9ish. . . will they pick on her in the coop once it's daylight??

Thoughts?

2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    They might, why don't you get up early and check on them...set an alarm clock, whatever it takes. (7:30)

3. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I am goin through a similar situation and it is going ok, make sure she eats and drinks...physically bring it to her cause the bigger ones may not be giving her a chance to get at the food and water dishes. and You can't get out there until 9am? I guess I am crazy, but even on my day off I am out there at 7am to be sure they can get out cause they will pick at eachother and get bored in there.

4. BLaBauve

BLaBauve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Georgia
    I can get out there early, I work nights often so I'm in the routine of sleeping in. Plus I have to get through my pack of hungry dogs before I get outside. But I will definitely make it out there early the next few days. I placed her on the roost tonight and she promptly pushed herself under a huge Wyandotte. How wide should a roost be? I feel like they have trouble balancing on the roost. I think it's only 2". Is it ok to put in a winder one?

Thanks

5. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    I have read that if you live in a cold climate it is good to have a roost wide enough so all thier toes can be covered by their feathers. I used 2 x 4 boards, seems to work good. no compaints from the chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by