Integrating a new pullet

BLaBauve

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Georgia
I have 3, 9 month old girls in a large coop (2 BLRW, 1 RIR). I have a smaller grow up pen with 3 other small pullets. One of the pullets is a Brahma which is about 4-5 months now, and almost the size of my older girls. She seems too big for the grow up pen. . . so we put her in with the big girls today (They've seen each other through wire for about a month now). They've all pecked her a little bit and she runs away, but it really didn't seem very vicious. The most submissive hen picks on her the most. I know I should not have put her in there alone, but the other chicks are much smaller than her. Tonight I'm hoping they'll all roost together. My worry is come morning, I won't make it outside until 9ish. . . will they pick on her in the coop once it's daylight??

Thoughts?

I am goin through a similar situation and it is going ok, make sure she eats and drinks...physically bring it to her cause the bigger ones may not be giving her a chance to get at the food and water dishes. and You can't get out there until 9am? I guess I am crazy, but even on my day off I am out there at 7am to be sure they can get out cause they will pick at eachother and get bored in there.

I can get out there early, I work nights often so I'm in the routine of sleeping in. Plus I have to get through my pack of hungry dogs before I get outside. But I will definitely make it out there early the next few days. I placed her on the roost tonight and she promptly pushed herself under a huge Wyandotte. How wide should a roost be? I feel like they have trouble balancing on the roost. I think it's only 2". Is it ok to put in a winder one?

Thanks

I have read that if you live in a cold climate it is good to have a roost wide enough so all thier toes can be covered by their feathers. I used 2 x 4 boards, seems to work good. no compaints from the chickens!

Back
Top Bottom