Integrating ages and breeds šŸ£

aquabrwn

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2023
Hi all! Iā€™ve read a number of posts on similar topics so I have some context about ā€œbest practicesā€ with chick intros. Iā€™m curious to hear from more experienced folks about my specific situation.

Currently have 6 3- or 4-week old Buff Orpingtons. Friday I pick up 6 RIRs and then on April 27th 6 Barred Rocks. The age spread isnā€™t ideal but we really are excited for different breeds! Weā€™ll also be rehoming a few of each once weā€™re sure theyā€™re healthy, our goal is to end up with around 10 chickens.

Since thereā€™s about a 3 week age difference between the groupsā€¦ wondering when I should intro each ā€œbatchā€ to each other? Iā€™ve considered keeping them separate until they go outside at 6ish weeks. Is there any upside to earlier intros?

Thanks in advance! Yā€™all are an amazing source of info šŸ™

There is always a huge upside to any early intro when it comes to chickens. They check each other out every bit as much as we humans check each other out as a step toward becoming acquainted.

Merging two age groups of baby chicks works well up to age four weeks. I believe it would be a bit too much of a size spread with day-olds and four week-olds. But you can realize a benefit by brooding them side-by-side so they can watch one another. This is also a better method since the two age groups will have drastically different heat needs.

Thank you! This is helpful. Iā€™m planning to have them in brooders next to each other so they can scope each other out - and then will plan to do a playpen-type intro when the younger ones are big enough to hold their own.

Back
Top Bottom