Integrating another Silkie

Alex15

Songster
Feb 24, 2013
I've had a look at other threads on here about integrating silkies into flocks with larger birds, but I l aready have two silkies, so not sure the situation is the same...

So in my flock I have 2 australorps, 2 welsummers, a sussex and a wyandotte and then a silkie hen and a silkie roo. Not sure if I'll end up keeping my roo and the two silkies sleep in a box on the floor so if I end up rehoming my roo, I don't want my little girl to be lonely!

As they are, everyone gets along fine, Rusty the roo has little scuffles with the bigger girls, but noone picks on tiny Fergi at all and don't mind her nuzzling under their legs (as she tends to do when it gets cold lol). Theyre all 14 weeks old now and am hoping to find a similar aged silkie to add to the flock. Are the bigger hens likely to pick on a new silkie, or will they be more okay with her seeing as theyre used to Fergi and don't pick on her? Also am I better to do it now, or wait until theyre older?

Well, when it comes to introducing any new chickens, despite the breed, you always want to take age into consideration first. It is best to have them all around the same age right now. They are just around the age where they will start establishing some type of pecking order. Being young is the best time to introduce new ones because they are less likely to be aggressive and dominant.

You may still have a few issues just because it's someone new and they are not used to them, but those issues can be more easily overcome when they are younger I've found. If you do plan on adding to the flock I would suggest getting at least 2 because there may very well be some segregation and they are more likely to accept new comers if there are more than one. It will also give the new one someone to bond with until everyone warms up to each other. This is the best way that we have found introducing new ones. We groups ours by age first. If you're existing ones are alright with your silkies, then (after they are properly introduced) they shouldn't mind more silkies.

If/When you choose to bring in new ones the easiest way to properly introduce them into the current flock is to keep them separated for a week or so in a way that they cannot physically get to each other, but they can see each other. Typically this is done by keeping the two groups separated with some chicken wire in the same enclosure. That way they can see the new ones and just gradually get used to them being there. After a week or so put both groups together in a neutral area(not their coop) so that each group is out of there own element. Let them interact for awhile, and then put them back in their own areas separated by the chicken wire. Do this each day for a few days and then simply remove the chicken wire and see how they blend. It's not complicated, bypasses all of the stress, and you don't have to worry about anyone picking on anyone. This has been our fail safe method for years. Of course it can be customized to your setup and situation. Hope this helps a little! Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom