integrating bantams with full size chickens

fernandez0067

Songster
11 Years
Dec 2, 2008
Schenectady
I have a flock of 17 hens some RIR, BR, and others mixed. They are pretty laid back ladies. I just got 3 bantams from TSC and I have a bator full of 16 EE, BLRW, and BO's. I plan to wait until the bantams are full size to start integrating them, and the others pretty big too. Do full size chickens get along with bantams? OR should they be separated?

Last edited:
I'm not sure but I am in the process of building a spearate coop and run for my bantams. Hopefully one day they with be able to share a house.

I got four frizzles and when I put them in w' the big girls. One I assume is a rooster went to town and took over the place. He chased all the big girls into the out parts of the pen and him and his harem took over the broody light. Laying out sunnin themselves I wish I had pictures. They've all adjusted and seem ok.
lol.png

Good question I have 9 RIR chicks that are 3-4 weeks old and 3 bantys that are about 3 weeks old and they all seem to be getting along well, if I have any problems I will separate them. But I'm not expecting there to be any problems.

Just remember to separate them with chicken wore the first few days so they get used to each other.

From my experience if they grow together theyshould do OK. I tried to put an older Bantam hen with my RIR girls didn't work they pecked her till I had to pull her out and put in seperate pen' where she know is doing fine.

All of this is good to hear.

When they get old and big enough i will make a seperate makeshift coop and run along side the big one for a couple of weeks. Then I will try to integrate them. If it dosent work out, I will just have to make another big coop for the banty's ... and guess what that means.... I will have to get more banty's to fill it up!

I win either way.... haha

We introduced 2 mature rescued bantams to our flock they did great after an adjustment period. We started by letting them free range together with separate sleeping arrangements then one night (late) put them in the coop. All was well. They do have a small little spot under the nesting boxes that only they can go if the rooster or a bossy hen gets to carried away.

Back
Top Bottom