Integrating Broody hen and chicks to flock-advice?

Fluffaloo

Chirping
Feb 20, 2023
Hey guys! At the end of February I snuck some day old silver laced Wyandotte chicks under my broody silkie and they have been doing great. They have been in a broody pen where the other chickens can see them constantly since day 1 and the chicks turned 5 weeks old today. I am trying to merge them with the flock today but I have a few questions.

1. My easter egger keeps attacking the silkie and her chicks, ripping out her feathers and carrying the torn feather like its a trophy. My roosters aren't stopping her. I have put the easter egger in the broody coop for tonight so my silkie can find her role in the flock again. Any other tips?

2. My silkie just started laying again and doesn't seem to care about the chicks anymore. Will they be fine without her warmth tonight (low is 40F) or do they absolutely need a heat pad? They have been outdoors their whole life, including when it got down in the 20s F.

What do you guys think?

Hey guys! At the end of February I snuck some day old silver laced Wyandotte chicks under my broody silkie and they have been doing great. They have been in a broody pen where the other chickens can see them constantly since day 1 and the chicks turned 5 weeks old today. I am trying to merge them with the flock today but I have a few questions.

1. My easter egger keeps attacking the silkie and her chicks, ripping out her feathers and carrying the torn feather like its a trophy. My roosters aren't stopping her. I have put the easter egger in the broody coop for tonight so my silkie can find her role in the flock again. Any other tips?

2. My silkie just started laying again and doesn't seem to care about the chicks anymore. Will they be fine without her warmth tonight (low is 40F) or do they absolutely need a heat pad? They have been outdoors their whole life, including when it got down in the 20s F.

What do you guys think?
That is so typical and is why I finally bought an incubator as I figured if I have to raise them from age 5-6 weeks on, I may as well raise them from the start.

Yes, they shouldn't be without heat below about 60F right now as they aren't fully feathered and have no mom to cuddle up to. Even a cozy coop is good enough as they can lean against it. We have a couple of those and it's what we use. Not sure what your heat pad is, maybe close to the same thing, but I'd use it at night for them for another week or two. You don't want to chance they are chilled all night long and catch a respiratory infection or something.

I would assume if you merge them now, they'll get picked on since the mom is now broody and she won't defend them anymore.

That is so typical and is why I finally bought an incubator as I figured if I have to raise them from age 5-6 weeks on, I may as well raise them from the start.

Yes, they shouldn't be without heat below about 60F right now as they aren't fully feathered and have no mom to cuddle up to. Even a cozy coop is good enough as they can lean against it. We have a couple of those and it's what we use. Not sure what your heat pad is, maybe close to the same thing, but I'd use it at night for them for another week or two.
Thank you for the reply! I added one of my chicken heat pads to the main coop just in case. I have used it with ducklings before and I find it works pretty well. At least its in there so they have the option to use it if needed. I was able to get my silkie to roost on the lower perch tonight and she allowed the chicks to perch on either side of her (2 chicks) so we will see what happens I guess.

Back
Top Bottom