integrating chickens of different ages and genders

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by zagmum, Feb 20, 2017.

1. zagmum

zagmum Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2017
    Clovis, California
    Hello, I have 13 older chickens that are in their own coop. I recently took in 22 new chickens. I have 1- 3.5 month old, 5 -7 week olds, and 16-2 week olds. The 3.5 month old I suspect is a cockerel and out of the 5- 7 week olds I suspect 3 might be cockerel (it is so hard to tell). The are in the same coop right now but should I separate the 3.5 month old and keep him/her solo? I have the 2 week olds separated in little brooders until they are ready to go out to the big coop. I am wondering also about what to do with the roosters? I don't really want roosters because I do not really want to deal with fertilized eggs, all the mating, etc. I have considered trying to sell them but since selling roosters is not the easiest (from what I have been told) I have also thought about keeping the roos and then eating them when they get big enough. If I end up with multiple cockerel, can I keep them separated in their own area until I figure out what I will do with them? Will they fight too much? When do they start to want to mate? When will I hear them crow? So far the 3.5 month old suspect cockerel is very mellow, gentle, friendly, and easy going. No crowing yet though. Sorry for all the questions, I have never had cockerel/roosters before so I am not sure how to do any of this. thank you in advance for any and all advice!
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    To start, I wish I was close because I would take all your free roosters, because I can take then 2 hours way and get $10 to $20 each for grown ones---according how big they are--even seen them go for $22 before. The reason is this Auction has Meat Buyers there----they buy them and resell to their sources. I do not know about your area----you might not have a place like that with in 20 hours of you??? LOL

As far as the chicks---mixing chicks 2 or 3 weeks apart is usually not a problem, but mixing some that are 2 or 3 months apart in age can lead to the younger getting picked on bad, Soooooooo I never mix them until they are adults----big enough that they can take care of themselves. If you are going to try---you will just have to keep a eye on them for the first few hours/days.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by