Integrating Chicks Hatched Indoors

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by drdoolittle, Sep 8, 2011.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    with some being raised outdoors by Momma. Well, actually 3 Mommas! I have 4 chicks that hatched inside (the eggs were under broody hens, and when 6 had hatched, the hens decided they were done, so I brought the rest inside to finish under a heat lamp) and I would like to integrate them with the other chicks and the three hens. Do I just put them out in the pen and the hens won't notice there are more chicks, or is there a better way to do it? Should I try putting them in at night? I don't want to lose any----one of my 3 silkie chicks got out of the pen and was killed by my other chickens yesterday. [​IMG]

2. extraordinaryfowl

extraordinaryfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Lancaster, PA
    How old are they? If they are younger then a week, and if you have any mother hens who have had her chicks for a week or less or preferably who doesn't have any chicks, then your chances are good that they will be accepted. However, I have heard of a mother with chicks for 2-3 weeks accept 2 two-week-old guineas. It is rare, but possible.

The best thing you can do is to watch - see if they accept them. And not just a few minutes, but until you are positive that they have accepted them. Good luck! MW.

3. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Thanks! I'm going to try taking them out today-----they are around 2 weeks old (all of them).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by