Integrating chicks into flock at 4 weeks old.

I used to have a 3'x4' "nursery" I used for my little OEGB each spring. When she hatched out her babies, I lifted it up off the ground with 2x4 pieces set on edge. So it was 3.5" off the ground. Only the mama and babies could go in and out. It was their safe zone.
I like the lifted bottom edge of wall idea for a creep area....thought about trying it with my wall, but bedding piling up changed my mind.

I definitely don't have the time to expand, but I just finished building a new coop for some friends. She got new chicks a couple weeks ago, so now my wife wants new babies too (of course).
I gave away my brooder last summer because we had 46 birds and no desire for more. I built our new coop last year to hold up to about 65, so I'm ok there. But now I have to make a new brooder and new "nursery" for integration.
So my DW is providing the motivation.

I like the lifted bottom edge of wall idea for a creep area....thought about trying it with my wall, but bedding piling up changed my mind.

I thought I saw 2x4's under a milk crate in one of you photos. I thought maybe that was a safe zone.
Sorry I intruded on the adjustable door thread. I agree that works best. I believe we had discussed that a few months ago on some other thread.

I thought I saw 2x4's under a milk crate in one of you photos. I thought maybe that was a safe zone.
Sorry I intruded on the adjustable door thread. I agree that works best. I believe we had discussed that a few months ago on some other thread.
No problem...it's a viable concept.
Don't think I had a crate on 2x4....but we probably talked about it wherever you saw it....haha!

Hey, the more input the better IMO.

Working on getting a temporary coop and fencing made to use for the babies in the run....and OMG my BO is trying to get broody :hit. She's the hen most likely to be the bully.

Wish me luck I can break this broody so not to cause undue extension on my upcoming integration.

I have 5 12 week old buffs, is it ok to introduce them to my exsiting flock of 8 mature Rhode Island reds? There has been little interaction between the 2 breeds. If not a good idea, what's the best course of action. THANKS

I have 5 12 week old buffs, is it ok to introduce them to my exsiting flock of 8 mature Rhode Island reds? There has been little interaction between the 2 breeds. If not a good idea, what's the best course of action. THANKS

You do need to give them the "look but cannot touch" method before placing them together. If you haven't already researched how to accomplish this then you should read the Learning Center Articles and other threads on the subject. Find those by searching for "adding to the flock" and "integration".

Back
Top Bottom