Integrating chicks outside first?

heather134

Chirping
Jan 9, 2021
Indiana
Our chicks are about 6 weeks old. It looks like they have most of their feathers and the weather is supposed to be sunny and up to 60 this weekend. My full-grown chickens have been running out the yard perfectly content so I thought I'd let the little ones enjoy some fresh air too.

Should I make a point of separating old hens from the young ones outside? Or is this a good time to let them become acquainted?
I wasn't planning to fully integrate for another month at least, maybe 6 more weeks.

Anything else I should be wary of while the little ones are out? (other than hawks!)

When integrating adults and chicks, it is always much easier when they are foraging. That gives everyone distractions. When confined, they are more easily annoyed with any interlopers.

Not very clear on this... were the chicks raised outside in view of the flock, or would this be their very first trip out? If the former, you can let them out and supervise for a bit to see how they interact. If the latter, I would NOT let them out and I would give them at least a week or two to get used to one another before letting them interact without a fence in between.

Back
Top Bottom