Integrating chicks - Qs on feed

nakitaj11

Chirping
Apr 30, 2020
Nampa, ID
So I have read that the pullets need to keep eating their own food for roughly 18 weeks. I purchased 8 chicks that are currently 4 weeks old. They are growing so fast and I would like to integrate them with the rest of the existing flock, 8 hens. I started making my own feed when my hens stopped laying back in September 2022. The feed consists of barley, split peas, oats, hard red wheat, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, and millet. (BTW- the hens will not eat the split peas so if you have ideas on that too - it is all over the ground in the run). Anyway, how do you integrate when one has to eat one thing and the others another? I currently have the hen feed on a raised block since I have 4 large breeds and 4 small breeds (pretty sure cochin bantam mix free off craigslist) so the smaller ones have a step stone to get to the food. I do not think that hanging the food would be an option.

Can you make a no wate gravity feeder out of buckets. I'd feed everyone grower or chick feed, your recipe isn't healthy for growing chicks or laying birds.

So I have read that the pullets need to keep eating their own food for roughly 18 weeks. I purchased 8 chicks that are currently 4 weeks old. They are growing so fast and I would like to integrate them with the rest of the existing flock, 8 hens. I started making my own feed when my hens stopped laying back in September 2022. The feed consists of barley, split peas, oats, hard red wheat, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, and millet. (BTW- the hens will not eat the split peas so if you have ideas on that too - it is all over the ground in the run). Anyway, how do you integrate when one has to eat one thing and the others another? I currently have the hen feed on a raised block since I have 4 large breeds and 4 small breeds (pretty sure cochin bantam mix free off craigslist) so the smaller ones have a step stone to get to the food. I do not think that hanging the food would be an option.
If you soak/ferment the whole grains and peas for a day or two (and add a spoonful of plain natural yogurt to start it off) you may find they eat the split peas and enjoy it all it better; more of the nutrients in the whole foodstuffs will be available to them through fermenting and they'll all be softer through soaking. Your 4 week old birds can eat your mix too.

Back
Top Bottom