Integrating chicks to the flock

ShelleyLB

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
Help!!! I have 2 bantams in my coop. I also have 5 chicks that have just reached their 30 day quarantine and are ready to be put into the coop. But 2 days ago, one of my bantams started a nest (apparently the other chicken that I thought was a hen is actually a rooster :rolleyes::rolleyes:) I'm worried that integrating the chicks into the coop now may upset my nesting hen? But I don't want to wait too long to integrate the chicks, I was told that the chicks shouldn't be bigger than the bantams when I integrate. What should I do?????

Welcome to BYC. Why have you decided that one of your bantams is a rooster? Hens will go broody whether or not there is a rooster present. If they were mine, I would give the integration a try if the coop is large enough. I seriously doubt that the chicks will bother the hen, but she may put a whopping on them.

Thank you so much! I believe the other bantam is a rooster, because its now making rooster noises, and I've noticed that i haven't been getting any eggs since the hen started nesting. I got 2 eggs a day, so I just assumed that I was getting one from each. But my one hen is a Cochin, and I've been told that they can lay 2 eggs a day?

Back
Top Bottom