Integrating chicks with flock \ free range

Cloyed

Songster
7 Years
Aug 6, 2016
Kerrville Texas
Hello
I have a rooster and 5 adult hens that free range all day.
The coop is large and has a door to the run as well as out to my 3 acres
The large run has a door to the property as well.
Normally they access the property and the coop through the run and I leave the run door open so the chickens can lay eggs in the coop.
And everyone was happy. :wee

Then because I am crazy :plbb I got 15 chicks.

Until the chicks were 4/12 weeks old they lived in the large brooder box inside the coop.

Then I started to fence off the nesting boxes so the hens could come in the coop from the run to lay eggs.
In the morning I let the chickens out into the run, put up the fence and let the chicks out of the brooder.
At night I put the chicks back in the box and took down the fence.

Last weekend at 8 1/2 weeks old I started to let the chickens directly out onto the property from the coop and the chicks out in the run
I close the coop up to the run and leave the coop door to the property open for the chickens to come in and lay eggs
In the evening I put the chicks back in the box before the chickens come to roost. It is getting dark earlier earlier.
Last night I missed my window and my DH and I had had to pass the chicks through the run/coop door and put them
in the box while the chickens screamed and rooster growled at me. :eek:

Today at 9 1/2 weeks old I thought I would see what the chickens thought of the chicks. But at noon the chickens really were not
interested in going into the run from free rangeing or maybe because I gave them some scraps and they had no need to pay any attention to me.
I though if they were full they would not be aggressive to the chicks. :lau
I got my hen, that is on the bottom of the pecking order, in the run and she jumped on a chick right away so I gently poked her with my stick and she
kept her distance only because I had the stick. Then I got brave and let the rooster in. (The hen got our in the mean time.)
My thinking was that maybe he would take care to the chicks. WRONG :barnieThe chicks were interested in him and some ran up to him. He jumped the closest one to him. I poked him with my stick but he come up with a beak full of feathers. After that he just stood by the run door growling to go back out to the property and his girls. So I let him out. He is not ever friendly in general and keeps his distance from me at all times.

So, I am not sure what I should do next. I was thinking I could let them all out to free range and maybe with all the room they will figure it out in a nice way.
But that scares me at this point. 😬 Maybe they are just to young and need to stay in the run a bit longer. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.
By the way I work all day but come home for lunch to check on my animals.

The last time I had chicks I had a broody hen to figure all this out. Boy do I miss her now:bow
0926201550.jpg
0926201551.jpg
0926201551a.jpg

Last edited:
Hi. Perhaps a few things in the run for the little ones to hide behind would help and get everyone in there together, supervised of course. Don’t intervene unless there’s blood. No boxed in areas, there needs to be a way for little ones to escape. Obstacles can be anything from an old chair or a piece of wood or a bucket. Then maybe let everyone into the run in the morning, little ones first, give a treat or something but then let everyone have the opportunity to free range and see what happens. The little ones will be more wary of leaving the run because it’s a new experience.

In my experience it’s easiest to integrate chicks with older birds at about four weeks. They are young and quick and learn the pecking order early. I have a separate coop for brooding and the bigs can see them during the day when they’re out and about. Then at dusk one night I let the chicks out and supervise the mingling, and the next day we start integrating full time; the entrance to the brooder is small enough that the chicks can escape the bigs without worrying about being followed so they have a totally safe place to escape. I don’t know why it’s so much easier with young chicks than older birds but that’s how it has always worked best for me. The chicks will try to start joining the older birds and there’s usually a few pecks or a feint like the bigs will give chase, but it’s never as serious as when the birds are old enough to be a challenge for resources it seems.

PS the lowest hen in the current pecking order is usually the one who is the hardest on the newbies. She’s making sure they know she’s above them.

Hi. Perhaps a few things in the run for the little ones to hide behind would help and get everyone in there together, supervised of course. Don’t intervene unless there’s blood. No boxed in areas, there needs to be a way for little ones to escape. Obstacles can be anything from an old chair or a piece of wood or a bucket. Then maybe let everyone into the run in the morning, little ones first, give a treat or something but then let everyone have the opportunity to free range and see what happens. The little ones will be more wary of leaving the run because it’s a new experience.

In my experience it’s easiest to integrate chicks with older birds at about four weeks. They are young and quick and learn the pecking order early. I have a separate coop for brooding and the bigs can see them during the day when they’re out and about. Then at dusk one night I let the chicks out and supervise the mingling, and the next day we start integrating full time; the entrance to the brooder is small enough that the chicks can escape the bigs without worrying about being followed so they have a totally safe place to escape. I don’t know why it’s so much easier with young chicks than older birds but that’s how it has always worked best for me. The chicks will try to start joining the older birds and there’s usually a few pecks or a feint like the bigs will give chase, but it’s never as serious as when the birds are old enough to be a challenge for resources it seems.

PS the lowest hen in the current pecking order is usually the one who is the hardest on the newbies. She’s making sure they know she’s above them.
thanks
maybe I have waited to long and made it more difficult on myself. It just freaks me out when they fuss at each other let alone fight. I did think twice about letting that hen in but she was the only one interested. Now I know why. I will have to ask for my DH's help. he is braver than I am.

🙂 It’s a learning lesson so don’t be hard on yourself. I didn’t know until I tried but I’ve done both older birds and chicks. The chicks are easier but that’s just my experience.
I’m sure there are others who had simple integration with no issues regardless of age, it just depends. If there’s one thing I’ve learned it’s that I’m still learning. Having stuff in the run when they’re all together will really help, and having more than one feeding and watering area too. Otherwise the bigs may guard resources.

🙂 It’s a learning lesson so don’t be hard on yourself. I didn’t know until I tried but I’ve done both older birds and chicks. The chicks are easier but that’s just my experience.
I’m sure there are others who had simple integration with no issues regardless of age, it just depends. If there’s one thing I’ve learned it’s that I’m still learning. Having stuff in the run when they’re all together will really help, and having more than one feeding and watering area too. Otherwise the bigs may guard resources.
thank you. I set up 3 feeders. I did know that one. I will put in more stuff to hide behind and try again.

Back
Top Bottom