Integrating chicks with hens

olilandy

Chirping
Nov 16, 2020
Louisiana
I have two 12 week old chicks that are getting a little too big for the kennel they are currently in. Do you think it’s ok to put them with my big chickens now? I have 4 hens. They all free range together on the weekends and we haven’t seen an issue. We keep the big coop door open while everyone free ranges and I haven’t noticed the baby’s going in it. They seem to mind their own business and keep together. I plan to switch my chickens to a flock raiser and offer oyster shells to the hens so everyone can eat the same thing until the chicks start laying and switch back to the layer pellets. Just looking for some input from the chick raising pros! Also included pic of coop.

Attachments

• 550C6E7F-CECF-4FE4-8769-F13DB6489D43.png
    550C6E7F-CECF-4FE4-8769-F13DB6489D43.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 79
The crate they've been staying in has been on my back porch. The coop is a little over 60 sq ft. but not sure on exact measurements.
I would move the crate into the coop and kind of get them all sleeping in the same area, or you could tuck them in there and watch to see how it goes and be out early in the morning to let them out. A few weeks back, I wrangled my 5-week-olds into the coop at dusk and closed the pop door and just watched, they huddled in the corner, and all was well. The next evening, they followed the big girls right in, I went in after it got a little darker and placed them on the juvenile roost (it's lower than the bigs roosts so they aren't in line of sight) they've been sleeping there on their own ever since.

I would move the crate into the coop and kind of get them all sleeping in the same area, or you could tuck them in there and watch to see how it goes and be out early in the morning to let them out. A few weeks back, I wrangled my 5-week-olds into the coop at dusk and closed the pop door and just watched, they huddled in the corner, and all was well. The next evening, they followed the big girls right in, I went in after it got a little darker and placed them on the juvenile roost (it's lower than the bigs roosts so they aren't in line of sight) they've been sleeping there on their own ever since.
That's excellent! The babies are probably in a 42 inch kennel so it would take up a lot of space in the coop. I think whenever I get home this evening we will let them all free range again and then put them all together tonight and see. Or maybe I could place them outside the coop for tonight and integrate them tomorrow.

That's excellent! The babies are probably in a 42 inch kennel so it would take up a lot of space in the coop. I think whenever I get home this evening we will let them all free range again and then put them all together tonight and see. Or maybe I could place them outside the coop for tonight and integrate them tomorrow.
As long as you run is predator proof you could move the crate into there, chances are they'll start to follow suit with a little persuasion ;)

Let me know how it goes🤞
So far so good all being in the main coop together. I had to show them where the roost were, poor things were trying to roost on their water jug lol. But I keep checking on them to make sure everything is ok. My husband was like “if you keep watching them you’re just gonna end up with your feelings hurt because they will establish a pecking order”. I just don’t want the big hens to hurt my babies 🥺 I’ll keep you posted!

Back
Top Bottom