Integrating Chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nick7764, Apr 4, 2012.

1. nick7764

nick7764 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Starkville, NY
    Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I could get your advice on integrating 2 different small shipments of chicks. This summer, we're hoping to get around 6ish girls total, but not all from the same place. Around 4 or 5 of the girls (wyandottes, orpington, barred rock, maybe a cochin) would be coming in one shipment, the week of June 4th. However, I'm also determined to get a silkie, which the place with the other girls was sold out of. I did found another place that is willing to ship out 1 or 2 silkies around the same time. The problem is, I'll be getting most of the girls at a day old, but the place that sells the silkies wants to ship them out no younger than 2 weeks old. I want to make sure I do the integration early enough so that there'll be no trouble. If the silkies came at the same time as the others, and were just two weeks older, do you think that could be a problem? In my mind it seems like it would be young enough to not matter too much, but being a chicken newbie, I wanted to ask you guys what you thought :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by