Integrating Flocks

Heatherella

Songster
Jun 7, 2020
Hi everyone!

I have 2 separate flocks and coops. One flock is pushing 10 years old and we’ve lost a few of our “old ladies” in the last year. Winter is rapidly approaching here in Maine. I’m very worried that my large coop with only 6 hens will not be warm enough throughout the winter and I’d like to combine the young and old flocks into one.

They free range together every day and go into their respective coops each night. I welcome any and all advice on how to approach this so everyone will be safe, warm and happy in one coop. I don’t not have any roosters.

Thanks so much!

I expanded my medium sized coop, doubling the size to one Large coop with 2 rooms - a divider door and windows inside. My 2 flocks do the same as yours, free-range together all day then go to their respective sides with their own flock buddies. At a certain point when I get new chicks they do all have to co-exist in one room so that the 2nd room can be a baby brooder room. Recently at roosting time I've tried placing some from the room 1 on the roost bar in room 2 but even though they are curious they immediately jump off and go back after getting pecked. I'm afraid that I'm going to just have to shut room 1 off completely, eventually to achieve the goal. I think it's your only option too. If you close up coop 1 so they can't get in and manually put them on the coop 2 roost bars when sun is setting then hopefully everyone wakes up together with little fighting though it will for sure happen. I try not to referee the new order establishing unless it's brutal. It'll for sure work out since they already know each other you just have to be patient and brave. I think you're doing the right thing because body heat is so valuable. GOOD LUCK and post about your progress as I'm in your same boat and interested!!

How old are the young ones? Are they laying yet? Until my juvenile pullets start laying they tend to avoid the older flock as they might get pecked if they venture too close. So I essentially have two sub-flocks. As long as they have room that is not a problem but that avoidance includes on the roosts at night. Once they start laying eggs that seems to signal acceptance into the company of the older girls.

Yours are apparently roaming in the same general area during the day, even if they stay separate. Great! That is what you want. After mine get that far I lock mine in the main coop at night. Some people put them on the roosts but I just toss mine into the coop floor. Mine generally aren't going to sleep on the roosts with the older girls anyway at first unless they are already laying. I don't care where mine sleep as long as it is predator safe and not in the nests. They will find someplace.

As long as it is dark in the coop the older cannot see well enough to hurt them. I'm down there at first light the first few mornings until I'm comfortable it won't be a disaster. With my coop and flock that's generally one or two mornings but I don't know what your coop looks like or how your chickens will behave.

I lock up their old coop so they can't go to bed in there. Sometimes I only have to toss them in the main coop one time, sometimes it takes a week or more tossing them in every night before they get the message it is time to switch sleeping spots. If you wait until it is dark they are usually easy to catch and lock in there.

Good luck. I think you will do great.

I don't care where mine sleep as long as it is predator safe and not in the nests. They will find someplace.
That is a good point. If you don't have poop boards and/or don't care about them pooping the coop floor then whether or not they wind up on Roost bars won't be a concern. It won't work for me but that's due to my personal preference.

I’m very worried that my large coop with only 6 hens will not be warm enough throughout the winter
This is a bit of a fallacy.
More birds are not going to 'heat the coop'.
They need to stay dry and out of the wind to so their feathers can hold heat to their bodies.
Ventilation is very important too and with adequate ventilation a coop won't 'hold heat' anyway. Get too many birds in an unventilated coop and it could spell disaster.

If your main coop has enough roosts for all the birds, then just shut down the smaller coop.

Back
Top Bottom