Integrating hens and chicks- 1 hen not playing nice, what to do?

sheeshshe

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
I have 9 chicks and 1 grown silkie that I am trying to integrate with 5 hens. 4 of the hens are doing great! 1 however (the bottom of the pecking order) is not being nice at all. She is being very aggressive. Would it be wise to put the chicks in with the 4 hens at night and take the other hen and put her in the chicks sleeping space for solitary confinement for a few days? and then add her back in with the hens and chicks? or is there something different I should do?

Also, if I fully incorporate the hens and chicks, what do I do about the food situation? do I take the hens off of the layer pellets and put them on the chicks food? or do I just provide both foods and hope the chicks don't eat the layer pellets? what does everyone do?

Thanks!!

oh, and I think my silkie is going broody. she laid an egg this afternoon and I had just put new shavings in it, she hasn't gotten out ever since LOL she is in the chicks sleeping quarters.

Everyone can eat chick feed, but the not everyone should be eating the high calcium layer feed. Young birds, pre-lay, have no egg to lay, thus, no way to expel all that loaded calcium that is in layer formula. It is very hard and potentially damaging to the pre-layers renal tract.

As for introducing new birds, sometimes it helps to have them get used to each other through a dividing screen for a few days before being thrust together, upsetting the pecking order that is OH so important to chickens.

If after a week, there is still a bully? Pull out that bully and put her in confinement for a week. Re-introduce and perhaps she will have lost her place and mellowed out a bit.

Last edited:
they've been out together with the fence between for a few weeks already. still the bully.

OK, that is what I figured. Poor Pouncer, LOL.

now to figure out the food thing as the feeder is FULL right now with the layer pellets :)

Back
Top Bottom