Integrating my Thanksgiving Day hatch with the rest of the flock

begbfg

Barnyard Beckie
8 Years
Feb 11, 2011
Roxboro, NC
I need some expert advice! My Thanksgiving Day hatchlings are now seven weeks old and have been out in the grow-out coop/pen for three weeks, now. The grow-out coop/pen are inside the main chicken run and so the older flock has been able to investigate the babies without being able to harm them in any way.

What signs should I look for that tell me I can start letting the little ones out into the main run with the older ones (supervised, of course!) for short periods of time? I have let a couple of my gentlest hens into the grow-out pen (one at a time) while I was in there to see how they (the hens) would react to them.

All advice is welcome!

Thanks!

Well i would say you can let them out in the pen now. It is best to do it while they are relatively young so they get acquainted. You should definitely supervise, and keep it short. They will chase each other around, and you just have to put up with it. It is the way of life, just make sure it doesn't get to aggressive.

Thank you! I don't want to keep them separated for too long and my instincts tell me I should start letting them mingle!

Begfg,

I read your post, and i would say its okay to let them out. Of course it is the winter season at least here in New York. I would strongly advise you to separate the hens from the turkeys. This will prevent diseases. Its just like ducks, you shouldn't have ducks and poultry together. The hens aren't going to bother the turkeys and depending on how calm your turkeys are they shouldn't bother the hens.

Do you have male turkeys with females or did you buy them as straight run?
If you need more information visit our website www.DomaniFarm.com

There are many resources on our website or you may submit us an email personally and with our hatchery's combined 25 years experience with turkeys, ducks, hens, chicks I'm sure we can give you more details on raising and keeping them healthy without incidents.
I need some expert advice! My Thanksgiving Day hatchlings are now seven weeks old and have been out in the grow-out coop/pen for three weeks, now. The grow-out coop/pen are inside the main chicken run and so the older flock has been able to investigate the babies without being able to harm them in any way.

What signs should I look for that tell me I can start letting the little ones out into the main run with the older ones (supervised, of course!) for short periods of time? I have let a couple of my gentlest hens into the grow-out pen (one at a time) while I was in there to see how they (the hens) would react to them.

All advice is welcome!

Thanks!

Thanks to all for the advice! I plan on letting them mingle on Wednesday. I have to work tomorrow.

To AJ Farms, I'm sorry if I confused you or anyone else who may have read this thread. My Thanksgiving Day hatch were of more chickens. In fact, they're the babies from my mixed flock. However, I am thinking about getting some turkey poults in the next couple of years, so I will keep your advice in mind!

I'll post some more on Wednesday to let you all know how they're progressing. I hope to get some pics, as well.
big_smile.png

so how are you keeping them seperated? like, in the coop, do you keep them in a caged area? I have a friend who needs a home for a 2 month old chicken and my 6 girls are nine months. My thing right now is time-- currently the coop door opens at 7am to the run, I have to leave the house with 2 kids at 6:45 and be to work by 7:30, and its cold outside. Would I leave them in the coop all day, being it's cold outside or do you take them out and leave them in their won little area? I worry because of the cold and keeptin them out all day- I don't get home until 3:30..... suggestions? help?? Thanks

Suburban,

Your in New Jersey, so the weather is about the same here in Upstate New York. During the winter months were its cold, wet, and windy, you shouldn't let them out of their coop. Its not horrible for them but keep in mind.

1) a wet bird is a sick bird, which means a dead bird.
2) Poultry does not have a sense of cold on their feet. So they cannot tell that their feet are ice cold in the snow. Which means they will get frost bite. This is a great way to have some chickens loosing toes or their legs falling off.

When i say their legs fall off or loose toes, its common although may not happen to every one. We have rescued a chicken that is missing all her toes on one foot due to being outside in the cold way to long.

If you can open a door to let fresh air in their coop that would be much better than letting them play in the rain and snow. On nice days you could let them out for short periods of time. If you have air vents or fresh air thats fine but you dont want huge drafts on them. You dont want them catching a cold and start coughing. Once one does, they all do. And then you have to treat them for it and if your organic you cant use any medications....

Hope this helps.

so how are you keeping them seperated? like, in the coop, do you keep them in a caged area? I have a friend who needs a home for a 2 month old chicken and my 6 girls are nine months. My thing right now is time-- currently the coop door opens at 7am to the run, I have to leave the house with 2 kids at 6:45 and be to work by 7:30, and its cold outside. Would I leave them in the coop all day, being it's cold outside or do you take them out and leave them in their won little area? I worry because of the cold and keeptin them out all day- I don't get home until 3:30..... suggestions? help?? Thanks

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom