Integrating New Chicks into the Flock

The weathers supposed to be mid 70's to low 80's in the day and high 40's to 50's at night so i think friday will be move into the coop day. The chickies will be just shy of 5 weeks and all are mostly feathered. This last week they've been spending the day in the little run and getting brought in the house at dinner time for some heat. Hopfully in a couple weeks they'll be running around with the big girls :D

The now 7 week old babies are about 5 days into roaming around with the big girls. They had around 2 weeks together with the look but no touch method.

I think things are going well? Nobody's been injured, but the little ones are very scared of the older hens. The older hens, especially the bottom of the pecking order hen, chase the littles if they get to close. They don't go out of their way to chase them however and don't seem to care if the babies eat or drink from their feeders. Theres plenty of hidey spots for the babies, and they have their own food and water that the big girls cant get to.

So does it sound like thing are going well? How long will the chasing continue? Am i on the right track?

They don't go out of their way to chase them however and don't seem to care if the babies eat or drink from their feeders.
That's a very good sign!

So does it sound like thing are going well? How long will the chasing continue? Am i on the right track?
Yep.
Maybe until the chicks are laying age, when they fully integrate into the flocks pecking order.
Yes, indeed!

I think things are going well?
I agree with Aart, going very well. Sometimes it is this easy.

How long will the chasing continue?
Each time is different because you have different chickens involved even if the area is the same. Typically mine form a separate sub-flock, being able to co-exist with no chasing or anything like that but with the younger ones avoiding the older so there is no conflict. My pullets don't usually sleep on the main roosts with the adults until they start laying eggs. That seems to move them to adult status. Mine may eat from the same feeders as the adults but not when the adults are eating. Mine may hang out under the mulberry tree but not when the adults are hanging out under there. They avoid being chased by avoiding the adults.

You are dealing with chickens. There is nothing consistent with chickens, each one is an individual, adult and young one. Sometimes mine mingle a lot more than this. Mine might start roosting on the main roost earlier. I've seen two to three week old chicks being raised by a broody hen scatter out and mingle with the adults when out grazing. This doesn't happen often, it does not happen a lot, but it can happen.

I think you are doing very well. Just be patient and try to let them work it out.

Thanks for the replies :) Good to know that they probably won't be roosting with the big girls just yet. That being said, my little Cochin cockerel decided it was a good idea to try and sleep with the big girls one night. It was going just fine for him until Spot the "in charge" hen jumped up. She gave him a few relatively soft pecks and put him in his place back on the ground. Silly little guy.

The other chicks seem to be getting more gutsy too! I give the big girls a handful of oyster soup crackers as a treat to get them back in from free ranging. Well, the little ones have been diving in and stealing the crackers right from under the big girls beaks. Its quite the show :lol:

They seem to be getting along great :D

Back
Top Bottom