Integrating new chicks.

zstewart123

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 30, 2012
St Amant ,Louisiana
I have 6 assorted 6 weeks chicks that I am integrating into my current flock of 3 Barred Rocks that are abou 12 weeks old. I started the process by leaving the chicks in their dog kennel but moved the kennel into the chicken run. The older chicks got a little annoyed at first but lost interest quickly. I left it like this for a week and released the chicks from the kennel. The older chicks began bullying the younger ones a little but nothing much. More like setting boundries. Well now about a week into this, The older chicks won't let the younger ones out of the coop. Everytime they try to leave and go outside, the start bullying them and they just go back inside. What should I do? My thought is that during the day I can just remove the ramp leading into the coop kind of forcing the issue. My wife says I should just put food and water in the coop and let them figure it out myself. Any help would be great!!

At this point the best thing to do would be leave them be. They will work it out.

There should be food & water available to the new chicks though for sure.

as long as there is no blood dont intervene. If there ever is blood separate them asap.

Back
Top Bottom