Integrating new goat to my 4 goats crew. Any advice is helpful

Birdsong 82

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 17, 2017
Virginia
Long time no post from me. Life has been.. life and worked last 28 days straight 15 hr shifts but back to it now!
A co worker of mine came to me because he knew my love for animals and needed to rehome his goat. I currently have four goats three of which were born in raised with me around. And with each other around. I’ve never introduced a new one from the outside in all the 7-8 years I’ve owned goats. He is much smaller than mine And any advice to help this go as smoothly as possible would help. I know it will be stressful either way at first because goats are very emotional but if I can reduce the stress in anyway with some advice it would be greatly appreciated. I wanted the new guy to feel comfortable

Last edited:
Long time no post from me. Life has been.. life and worked last 28 days straight 15 hr shifts but back to it now!
A co worker of mine came to me because he knew my love for animals and needed to rehome his goat. I currently have four goats three of which were born in raised with me around. And with each other around. I’ve never introduced a new one from the outside in all the 7-8 years I’ve owned goats. He is much smaller than mine And any advice to help this go as smoothly as possible would help. I know it will be stressful either way at first because goats are very emotional but if I can reduce the stress in anyway with some advice it would be greatly appreciated. I wanted the new guy to feel comfortable
I don't know a ton about goats but you should probably introduce them by putting him in some type of pen so they can see each other. Or perhaps you could pick a goat to have him bond with so he has a buddy and after they are bonded you could put them in with the rest.👍 Idk if this is the advice you are looking for so let me know😉

Told him I needed till the weekend to make an area to just the new guy. Knew it would take some time. I have one goat that may befriend him for a minute but the ones I have have been a pack for many many years and thinking she’ll want back with the rest quickly seeing as they’ve never been apart

White one is the one in need of home. Unfortunately his buddy (the peach one) passed away last night Vet checked Carl (the white one) and he’s good to go health wise
But size difference. Mine are anywhere from 150-160+ lbs ( Nubian + Boer)
New guys is Mix of Pygmy and... something. He wasn’t sure but he’s not much bigger than his black lab

Attachments

• CDC993A4-ECB0-473C-BED5-E0E7B5736E28.jpeg
    CDC993A4-ECB0-473C-BED5-E0E7B5736E28.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 24F6D662-CFE1-460C-A380-AC7FAA65F98B.png
    24F6D662-CFE1-460C-A380-AC7FAA65F98B.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
White one is the one in need of home. Unfortunately his buddy (the peach one) passed away last night Vet checked Carl (the white one) and he’s good to go health wise
But size difference. Mine are anywhere from 150-160+ lbs ( Nubian + Boer)
New guys is Mix of Pygmy and... something. He wasn’t sure but he’s not much bigger than his black lab
He is the cutest thing I have ever seen!!!!❤

This is something you might try. Things will go better if the new one does not have a strange scent. You might put a small dab of Vicks in the nostrils of all the goats. By the time the Vicks wears off all of them will smell the same.

Back
Top Bottom