Adult goat castration - risks?

FuzzyDuck

Chirping
Jul 17, 2021
Hi all, I have an adult male goat who I am considering castrating. It’s probably either that, or full-time separation from my female goat and their new kid (also female). That would involve new fencing, getting him a friend, etc. If we go the castration route, it’ll be done by a vet surgically onsite. I’ve discussed some of the risks with the vet, and while he hasn’t had issues in his experience, there is the possibility of complications from anesthesia for my buck, so I’m waffling. I’m just wondering if anyone here has experience with surgically castrating an older buck (mine is about 5, I think) and how it went?

Or even just any advice for alternatives, for managing a male goat around females — do those aprons work, for example?

I don’t have direct experience with this as we band the kids - but if you have a good vet I’d trust the advice. Obviously there are risks but he and they will be happier together.

Hi all, I have an adult male goat who I am considering castrating. It’s probably either that, or full-time separation from my female goat and their new kid (also female). That would involve new fencing, getting him a friend, etc. If we go the castration route, it’ll be done by a vet surgically onsite. I’ve discussed some of the risks with the vet, and while he hasn’t had issues in his experience, there is the possibility of complications from anesthesia for my buck, so I’m waffling. I’m just wondering if anyone here has experience with surgically castrating an older buck (mine is about 5, I think) and how it went?

Or even just any advice for alternatives, for managing a male goat around females — do those aprons work, for example?
I don’t have experience with castrating goats yet, I’m fairly new, but I do know they can mate through the fence, and I wouldn’t trust the aprons. If it were me personally, I would just have the vet castrate him, yes there are risks but I find that with most things unfortunately. Plus the pros outnumber the cons to me. Good luck.

You do need to get the goat castrated even though anesthesia is always a risk for goats. Has your vet considered local anesthesia? Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom