integrating older bigger bird

Might be 'correct'..... but it's tight for integration purposes.
The 4/10 thing is bare minimum, IMO......and works better as it's scaled up (more birds - larger space).

Do they roam the yard at all? That might help relieve some pressure for at least part of the day.
Board installed is the right idea for blocking line of sight.

She might not get on roost because there's not much room to fly back down.
It's also small, a 2x4 would be more functional.

I agree the box might just be taking up space....is it open on both ends?
If box was solid on top, so they could get up there...and open at both ends....it would be much more functional.

The box is solid and open both ends the roost in the coop has a step up to it.. We havent let our girls out yet to roam yard as we were told to wait until oyr wyandottes were full size and were worried they mighttrytoget over our 6footfence were backed onto a buist main road

The 4/10 thing is bare minimum, IMO......and works better as it's scaled up (more birds - larger space).

Do they roam the yard at all? That might help relieve some pressure for at least part of the day.

If box was solid on top, so they could get up there...and open at both ends....it would be much more functional.

I agree. Integration always goes better with more space. Personally I don't see the coop as terribly undersized, but the run could stand to be quite a bit larger.

I know i would love a bigger run too but unfortunately with city living our council codes meant we couldnt have a bigger fully enclosed/roofed run so had to design a light weight moveable coo. Whicj is why i followed the 4/10 rule however our coop is 5.5 per bird.. Our dream is to let them out into the yard as we have a grasshopper problem and thats 1 of the big reasons why we got 3 hens..we never intended for them to be shut up perminately but at the same time were worried they will fly over the fence and get hit... Were thinking about clipping wings but im not sure about that either ive never clipped any of my budgies as i like them to have flying time i see it as good excersize.. But i see lots of others with hend in small backyards thst dont fly over i dont know

Last edited:

What do u mean 2x4 is that roost thickness? If she i might need to change up roost in coop too.. The roost in the coop sits about 1 foot out from the wall is that 2 close for her? I coukd also lower the coop roost by 10cm if that helps her .

My youngsters get on and off the outside perch using the ramp into the coop... Seen as there not using the panic room box should i take it out to maximise the space and just leave the board in?

Last edited:
Quote: Ah, you must be in canada or europe? Ascertained from your use of cm and the word council.

2x4" is a standard lumber size in the US. I like this size roost, with wide side up, because it's better footing especially for bigger bumbling birds.
1 foot from wall is good for roost location...unless you have a cockbird with a big ole tail,
then farther is better or their tail feathers can get messed up rubbing against wall.

You can try taking the box out.......be flexible and creative...mixing things up also adds distractions that can assist with integration.

A temporary set up of some 6' high wire fencing can offer some daytime space.
I use 14ga 2x4" welded wire, set in a circle with a couple posts/stakes it's pretty stable.

Ah, you must be in canada or europe? Ascertained from your use of cm and the word council.

2x4" is a standard lumber size in the US. I like this size roost, with wide side up, because it's better footing especially for bigger bumbling birds.
1 foot from wall is good for roost location...unless you have a cockbird with a big ole tail,
then farther is better or their tail feathers can get messed up rubbing against wall.

You can try taking the box out.......be flexible and creative...mixing things up also adds distractions that can assist with integration.

A temporary set up of some 6' high wire fencing can offer some daytime space.
I use 14ga 2x4" welded wire, set in a circle with a couple posts/stakes it's pretty stable.

Actually in Australia.. Ok ill replace my roosts with 4x2"(100mmx50mm) thanks

I went down to hardware shop and the closest they have is 90x45mm will this be ok?

Last edited:
I went out to check girls and to give them there table scraps and i was surprised to see all 3 girls out in the run together and when i approached they all came up to me with no bickering or chasing they were even eating kitchen scraps together :) does this mean the new pecking order has been established?
Im going to remove panic room to give them extra space but im going to keep the board in place for a bit longer it also provides extra shade which is always nice in summer

I went out to check girls and to give them there table scraps and i was surprised to see all 3 girls out in the run together and when i approached they all came up to me with no bickering or chasing they were even eating kitchen scraps together
smile.png
does this mean the new pecking order has been established?
Im going to remove panic room to give them extra space but im going to keep the board in place for a bit longer it also provides extra shade which is always nice in summer
Awesome! Hope things continue to improve....
......there will always be some pecking, it's just part of their society... and the pecking order can change.
Yes,the 90x45mm roost size will be fine....is that about twice the size of the other?
Agrees leaving the board up is a good idea.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom