Integrating pigeons

gootziecat

Crowing
16 Years
Nov 27, 2007
Dover TN
Is there a problem integrating new added pigeons to a loft, like there would be with chickens? In other words, are strange, new birds welcomed in an already established flock? Thank you.

Is there a problem integrating new added pigeons to a loft, like there would be with chickens? In other words, are strange, new birds welcomed in an already established flock? Thank you.
They will be bullied a bit, but they are just shifting the pecking order. Slowly integrate them like you would chickens. Try not to shove them all in at once.

Blue Raptor, Thank You. So it's probably better to keep them separated, if possible, until they get a little use to each other. This tells me I best get what I hope to keep and breed and not buy here and there and add to the flock.

I would say that in general pigeons are easy to integrate compared to chickens. Hens will almost always be welcomed warmly and are rarely aggressive to either sex.
Currently my flock has an excess of cockbirds (5 hens and 9 cockbirds) so there are some behavior issues due to the unpaired males. The easy way to remedy this is to build your loft so that you can separate hens from cocks into separate sections. Mine is just too small for that so I should be rebalancing the sexes so everybody gets a mate.

Post some pics of your flock?

Blue Raptor, Thank You. So it's probably better to keep them separated, if possible, until they get a little use to each other. This tells me I best get what I hope to keep and breed and not buy here and there and add to the flock.
I think you could add hens or mated pairs if you want, but don't add a bachelor cock unless you have or will soon have a mate for him.

Thank you all for answers.

Biophiliac, I would love to post pictures but #1, there are computer complications (without getting into boring details), and #2, there are no pigeons yet...I'm not even set up...and that's another long story. I've had chickens so can compare on that basis. So I'm here to learn, be informed, and hopefully make intelligent decisions. (Are you laughing yet??)

Thank you all for answers.

Biophiliac, I would love to post pictures but #1, there are computer complications (without getting into boring details), and #2, there are no pigeons yet...I'm not even set up...and that's another long story. I've had chickens so can compare on that basis. So I'm here to learn, be informed, and hopefully make intelligent decisions. (Are you laughing yet??)
I currently cannot directly post pics to this forum due to device incompatibility either. LOL If you would like to see the pics I've posted in the past you can see those under ' IMAGES' on my profile page. I started with chickens also. :)

Biophiliac, did you build the loft yourself?! Way cool if you did. I only have a few pictures of some NN chickens from the past on BYC, which may be accessible. I'm hopeful, some day, I will figure out how to dowload my pictures off my camera. Was ok until the computer was changed on me, or maybe it was a new upgrade for Linux. Either way, I'm screwed.

Biophiliac, did you build the loft yourself?! Way cool if you did. I only have a few pictures of some NN chickens from the past on BYC, which may be accessible. I'm hopeful, some day, I will figure out how to dowload my pictures off my camera. Was ok until the computer was changed on me, or maybe it was a new upgrade for Linux. Either way, I'm screwed.
My brother built the loft per my design, he has great carpentry skills. :)

Back
Top Bottom