Integrating Pullet flock with hen flock-- Any ideas?!

Jackied84a

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2019
New Chicken Mama here= Concern & Question

We have 6 hen's (3 laying, 2 starting anyday now, &1 showing no sign) that are between 27-24 weeks old. And 2 pullet's that are 13 weeks old.
Weve had the pullets for a little over 2 months. We let hen's free range. Introduced pullet's about 4 weeks ago by them being in run during the day and then when hen's went into run (usually an hour before going into coop) the pullet's were in a clear plastic bin in the run. Never had major issues there (1 side was cut out with chicken wire, so the babies could get on the completely covered side if any of the big girls tried to peck them). Then 3 weeks ago we started letting the pullets free range (with their tub at night). Then about a week ago I put the pullets in the coop after the other girls were asleep. Next morning- pullets hiding in corner of coop with no injuries :yaNext night, the pullets walked themselves up into the coop with the big girls.
So, for the past week everyone free ranges during the day and sleeps together at night with no intervention from us. But, the chicks are always off on their own. The chicks come running up when they hear me but quickly run away when the hens come. The pullets just avoid them. They havent had any injuries. Theres only 2 hens now that even run towards them to peck them, but it's never horrible. 1 hen, if she remotely sees them shes going after them regardless, but they usually just outrun her.
Question: what can I do to have these 2 separate flocks combine-- have the hens accept the pullets so they all are together during the day?
Do I need to separate the 1 bully for a day and see if the babies are welcomed by the others? Do I just keep them all in the run one day to make them be together and let them sort it out (of course, checking frequently for injuries/severe hazing)? Do I just let them do their thing and wait it out?
Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Question: what can I do to have these 2 separate flocks combine-- have the hens accept the pullets so they all are together during the day?
When the youngers start laying they will work their way into the olders pecking order.
Until then they will stay separate 'flocks', completely normal.

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

When the youngers start laying they will work their way into the olders pecking order.
Until then they will stay separate 'flocks', completely normal.

FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

OK, thank you for the info! In my mind I just had it set that once they lay their hen's. But then again, our younger ones I call babies (or chicks when I'm calling for them).
But, your right using the right terminology I'm sure would help y'all experienced with all this understand what I mean. Thank you!

In my mind I just had it set that once they lay their hen's. But then again, our younger ones I call babies (or chicks when I'm calling for them).
Many do, no worries!

One thing I have never figured out is when they go from being 'chicks' to pullets or cockerels. I guess I call them chickie-babies, as well as pullet or cockerel, until they stop peeping and start 'honking' before clucking.

Back
Top Bottom