Integrating Serama Rooster

Yabadabadoo

Songster
Jan 9, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Hi! I have a mature flock of 16 hens, no roosters. I also have a segregated flock of 19 pullets, age ~10-8 weeks. The pullets are segregated in a separate Coop and run until they are big enough to free range with the bigger girls. They can all see each other, but not touch. Again, no roosters.

Ok, here is the question. How should we go about integrating a very human social, six month old serama rooster??? He is 1/3 the size of our full grown hens, comparable size to the pullets.

Also, he loves people and seems to prefer them over hens…think he will acclimate back to chicken life?

Thanks in advance.
C10BC28B-1FF2-49E2-900D-7660343CE0A1.jpeg

I would slip him in with the pullets,,, since about same size... After, when you let all free-range together,,, all will get integrated at same time.
I currently have 1 Serama hen, 1 Japanese hen, and 3 large chicken hens. No Roosters. They get along fine. Of course there is some pecking, and chasing,,, but not severe,, just typical of mixed flocks.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I am also in the process of introducing a human friendly serama rooster into my flock of 4 established hens. (Orpie, Barred Rock, Bresse and RIR/Orpie hybrid). His initial introduction had him face off with the boss hen, Rocky - he was able to best her by ducking under her when she attempted to smoosh him, then jumping super high to land some face kicks. When she backed off, Ruby (the hybrid) stepped in and managed to pin him down and was pecking relentless at his comb.
I broke up the tussle and separated them. I kept the little guy away to catch his breath and waited until after dark. When all the girls were fast asleep in the coop, I snuck him in and put him on the highest roosting bar. When I let them out in the morning, they acted like he was part of the flock. He has the cutest crow, and I just love him.

Back
Top Bottom