Integrating small chicks into the coop

Deepfriedbeauty

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Jacksonville, FL
My Coop
My Coop
It's gotten pretty warm down here in Florida with highs in the 80s and lows around 65. I set up a small "safe zone" for my 4 week old chicks in the coop because they were going NUTS in the brooder. I used scraps from the roofing material to build a barrier inside the coop. I left a small opening on one side so that the little ones can go in and out, but the 11 week old girls can't fit through the opening. This was totally an experiment, but it seems to work really well. The barrier is clear so the girls can get to know each other without any incident. To be honest, there hasn't been the slightest bit of pecking yet. Here's some pics. What do you guys think about this?

That is a really innovative idea you have there and it is working for you and your flock, great job! How long did it take for the 4wk old chicks to realize they could go in and out of that hole?

It took no time at all. I showed them once and they found their own way back out. I watched a few more minutes and one of the 11 week old Faverolles came in to see what was going on. Both of those little chicks high tailed it behind their wall and all was good. This is going so smoothly!:thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom