Integrating solutions

babybop11

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2023
Complicated situation with a very bonded pair

Alright so, I have 3 “flocks” I’m trying to integrate.
1) my OG birds (six birds, 1 year old) 2) chicks born 3/7 (4 birds, all pullets) 3) chicks born 3/26 (2 birds, 1 pullet and 1 cockerel)
currently, flocks 2 & 3 are together on one side of the run with their own little coop, separated from flock 1 by chicken wire while everyone gets used to each other. flock 3 is super bonded to one another, isolate themselves in the run and do not move or do anything without the other.
I have had to continue bringing the youngest pair inside at night because flock 2 will not allow them in their coop without things getting ugly.
My concern is, when the roo becomes more… mature… I’m worried about his hen friend for several reasons. one, because he’ll definitely be all over her before she’s interested in that. two, because if I do end up having to remove him, he’s literally all she knows. will she assimilate to the others? or how do I remedy this? do I just need to keep trying and they’ll figure it out or is this a real problem? help 😅😅😅😅 (pictures of the little ones, just because)
5DACD674-2BD2-4D79-A2B1-9BE8B0C75C0F.jpeg

We've got a couple of "temp coops" for the younger ones that can't go in the coop. We were doing that too, bringing some in the house, in the colder months.

It seems as they grow up, the roosters become more amorous before the pullets are. I've seen our 4-month-old rooster try mounting one and she just runs off, though I've seen him try mounting another cockerel who starts the chest-bump thing.

Generally, they don't get too serious quite yet as they're just learning themselves. Adult roosters would never try this on young pullets. I think I'd let them figure it out themselves for a bit unless you see she's really getting attacked badly from him. They don't know what they're doing yet, so it could just be them learning.

It seems as they grow up, the roosters become more amorous before the pullets are.
Yes. Males become sexually mature around 4 months,
pullets not until around 6 months.

When I was hatching every year, cockerels got slaughtered around 14 weeks.

Don't count your chicks until the eggs have hatched.

You won't know that you have a problem until you have one or even if you will ever have a problem. I think you are on the right track. The two younger groups share a run peacefully. They stay separate, which is normal, but the older are not trying to kill the younger.

How big is that coop the two groups share? Is there enough room in there that they can sleep well separated? I assume you lock them in there at night? What is going in in the morning when you go to let them out? Is it peaceful or are they getting beat up?

I can't remember if I responded on your other thread about this or not. Knowing how big your facilities are and how they are laid out could be helpful. Photos of the facilities could be much more important than photos of your birds. Without knowing anything specific I'd suggest you keep doing what you are doing. As long as no one is getting hurt you are doing great.

Back
Top Bottom