Integrating Two Flocks with Roosters?

Anon112

Songster
6 Years
Apr 15, 2018
Hello! Looking for a little advice on my situation.

I have a large, L-shaped chicken run (imagine a square and a rectangle) that has a door into the rectangle and a door that separates the two parts. About a year back I got several chicks. When they got too big for their little corral in the garage, I closed the door between the two halves and put the young ones in there. Unfortunately, one of the chicks grew up to be a rooster (my fault, I was low on money and so I bought chicks instead of pullets and rolled the dice with gender). Long story short, I now have one flock that consists of a leghorn rooster, four leghorn hens, and three delaware hens. They are all about 2 years old. My other little flock consists of a Ameraucana rooster, two Ameraucana hens, three Welsummer hens, and four delaware hens. The delawares in this group are my youngest at about 6 months old.

In order to get to the second flock (for collecting eggs, for filling up the food, etc), I have to pass through the section where the other flock is housed. This is inconvenient, and I would really love to integrate the two flocks to make management easier.

The "wall" between the two sections is mostly made of chicken wire (the outside has hardware cloth, but the internal wall didn't seem like that was necessary). The chickens see each other all of the time. I often put the two groups outside to free range together, and they seem to get along fine aside from the occasional confrontation between the two roosters (these have only gotten "serious" two times). But I am very much aware that outside they have a lot of space to spread out, for the little ones to hide from the big ones, etc.

I have read a lot about integrating new hens, but I haven't found anything about integrating flocks with two roosters. Is this a horrible idea? I would obviously rather continue to be inconvenienced than endanger my chickies. Their run is very spacious (well above the 10 square feet per chicken rule) and there are lots of levels (ladders, perches, boxes, corners, walkways, etc). Ultimately integrating the flock would leave me with 2 roosters and 16 hens, which I know is on the lower end of the acceptable rooster/hen ratio. I have two food stations (and could easily add one more) and four water stations (two per side).

Any advice is appreciated, whether it's telling me DO NOT DO IT!! or telling me how I might go about it. I am a teacher and I am on summer break, which means that I have time to do things like sit and supervise a situation for a long chunk of time.

Personally, I think it’sa terrible idea and would be best to rehome whichever one is a bigger a-hole. If you think walking all the way to a different coop is inconvenient, you’ll hate having to clean up bloody roosters all the time. It will be waaay easier to just integrate hens in with an existing flock with 1 rooster. This is my opinion based on too much rooster experience.

Personally, I think it’sa terrible idea and would be best to rehome whichever one is a bigger a-hole. If you think walking all the way to a different coop is inconvenient, you’ll hate having to clean up bloody roosters all the time. It will be waaay easier to just integrate hens in with an existing flock with 1 rooster. This is my opinion based on too much rooster experience.
Ha!

Unfortunately I do not live in an area where rehoming would mean anything except becoming chicken soup. I keep my flock as pets and egg-layers and I'm not comfortable killing them or letting them be killed. But I agree that I'd rather duck through my little inter-coop door twice a day than tend little rooster wounds all the time.

Ha!

Unfortunately I do not live in an area where rehoming would mean anything except becoming chicken soup. I keep my flock as pets and egg-layers and I'm not comfortable killing them or letting them be killed. But I agree that I'd rather duck through my little inter-coop door twice a day than tend little rooster wounds all the time.
I that case keeping them separate would be my recommendation…. Together they will fight over “their girls.” I hope everything works out and you find a solution.

I that case keeping them separate would be my recommendation…. Together they will fight over “their girls.” I hope everything works out and you find a solution.
That's fair, and like I wrote in my post, I had already accepted that "Don't do it!" might be the advice.

I appreciate your responses and I think I will turn my energy to creating a safe way to access the one group from the outside instead of having to walk through both halves.

That's fair, and like I wrote in my post, I had already accepted that "Don't do it!" might be the advice.

I appreciate your responses and I think I will turn my energy to creating a safe way to access the one group from the outside instead of having to walk through both halves.
Yea, I’ve had way too much experience cleaning up bloody roosters. At first, I didn’t know what was going on - I thought they had a disease until I came here and was informed that the black combs were from blood - from fighting. And the two I’m talking about were raised together. It’s madness - So now I just separate. I have 6 cockerels in a bachelor pad.

Yea, I’ve had way too much experience cleaning up bloody roosters. At first, I didn’t know what was going on - I thought they had a disease until I came here and was informed that the black combs were from blood - from fighting. And the two I’m talking about were raised together. It’s madness - So now I just separate. I have 6 cockerels in a bachelor pad.
I really appreciate your perspective.

I had a thought at one point about getting one more rooster and moving one of my roosters in with it to a "frat-house" because I have this decent coop/run pre-fab combo that I'm currently not using. (I had read that two roosters can get along okay if there are no hens to fight over). But I decided against it because the thought of getting another rooster and it not working out would be a total nightmare.

This is one of the main downsides of pets for me--once you create a situation, you need to do what is right for all of them. And I really feel for my roosters because they are just acting on their little biological impulses.

How did you go about setting up your bachelor pad? Did you raise the cockerels together? Were they all cockerels who never experienced living with hens?

I really appreciate your perspective.

I had a thought at one point about getting one more rooster and moving one of my roosters in with it to a "frat-house" because I have this decent coop/run pre-fab combo that I'm currently not using. (I had read that two roosters can get along okay if there are no hens to fight over). But I decided against it because the thought of getting another rooster and it not working out would be a total nightmare.

This is one of the main downsides of pets for me--once you create a situation, you need to do what is right for all of them. And I really feel for my roosters because they are just acting on their little biological impulses.

How did you go about setting up your bachelor pad? Did you raise the cockerels together? Were they all cockerels who never experienced living with hens?
They were hatched and raised together; we took them at dusk to a part of our main coop which is 30 feet long with a divider in the inside and a kennel attached to the outside. The cockerels walk directly out into it and still be separated from everyone else, but right there where they can be part of the flock. The pics I’m attaching are not at the right angle to really see what I mean, I’ll get better ones tomorrow. But yea at dusk when they are settling in for the night is the best time - this way they woke up in the coop, I left them in there for a few hours with food and water so they recognized it as home. It worked - they went right up into the coop that night. When we separated them, they were approximately 8 weeks so we did it right before they realize that hens are different and make their nether regions tingly 🤣
also, those are old pics and not of the cockerel I have now; just if the same setup. The one pic shows where we attached the kennel to the side of the coop, and the other pic is what the kennel encompasses, with an attached chicken tunnel we made so they could get some grass.
I have yet to find out if this will work because they will still be able to fully see all the hens - but thankfully I have a neighbor that would love to buy and process and cockerel I get so I got lucky in that aspect.

Attachments

• 5375A9ED-F7CA-4AFA-B0EE-02E536097053.jpeg
    5375A9ED-F7CA-4AFA-B0EE-02E536097053.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • CDE5F3AA-5A56-4B92-96F0-FF434EC350EB.jpeg
    CDE5F3AA-5A56-4B92-96F0-FF434EC350EB.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom