Integrating with LOTS of space

saysfaa

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 1, 2017
Upper Midwest, USA
I brought Spice, the leghorn, to join my friend's flock. He has 22 (now 23, with Spice) chickens in a (best guess) 15 by 30 barn. Most of them are bantams. They also have a huge outside space - maybe a half acre, with lots of clutter. His flock is also quite used to flock members coming and going.

How long do you think before it might be safe to let Spice out of the see-not-touch box?

I didn't like bringing her by herself but she was by far the most independent of my flock. That isn't saying much because my flock is so small but she was orders of magnitude more independent. And agile and active - both of them both physically and mentally.

Well. Never mind, my friend already opened her door. She seems to be doing ok, she was doing a little preening.

He leaves little chicks closed off for a week but she is big enough and knows enough etiquette to not get into to much trouble.

She is watching everything intently. Everyone else is like, totally no big deal.

By midafternoon, Spice was outside scratching in the dirt. She was (of course) watching the other chickens closely but she was moving among them with no problems. Most of them were paying no attention to her but once or twice, she happened to face one close enough for the other chicken to give her a quick "back off" signal. Spice jigs or jobs her path, the other one tilts back down, and things go back to smooth.

I knew having lots of space would make things easier but I hadn't realized how easy it could be. I'm sure there will be some dust ups as she finds her place but it is not likely to be a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom