integrating young chicks

I'd love to hear what you come up with. I was thinking of the same area divided by net but really dont want to cut another hole to the coop. We've taken over a very sound insulated shed and dh is resistant to let it be overcome. Also our winters are brutal so the less heat loss the better.

p.s. thank you for the pictures and details!

Quote:[QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Well, this is what I came up with. It's working quite well. I am using the one opening in the coop for access for both the older chickens into/out of the run and for the young chicks. I've built a separate area in the coop for the young chicks, with a hinged door which opens towards the opening. And I have a fenced off area in the run for the chicks, right next to the coop. The fence is movable. I can put it on a latch on one side of the opening or on the other side, thereby changing the coop/run access, depending whose turn it is to go in or out. Once the chicks are out, I leave the access open to the older chickens, so the hens can go inside to lay eggs, and they can get to their feed and water. The younger chicks have their feed and water outside during the day. They go out later in the morning or in the day, depending on the weather. And there is a small hen house in their outside fenced off space, in case I'm not home and they need to go indoors to escape rain.

It's working well, except for the day I let out the older chickens and left the chicks inside, for the morning, or so I thought. I had forgotten to put the latch on their little door, and by midmorning, they had figured that out and they all went outside, and thus joined the older chickens. They spent the day in the run with them and everything went fine. All the plans of mice and men.... But anyway, I'm still trying to keep them separate, as I'm not sure how it will go if they're in the coop together at this stage, and so they can all eat their appropriate feed.

Here are pictures of what I've designed. I'm a nurse and have no experience in building, but am learning....

[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/44517_june_2011_new_chickens_025.jpg

44517_june_2011_new_chickens_024.jpg

44517_june_2011_new_chickens_039.jpg

44517_june_2011_new_chickens_023.jpg

44517_june_2011_new_chickens_022.jpg

Last edited:
I can't thank you enough! I am having dh read your post in the a.m. as we are setting to build tmo and Saturday. Oh this is great! You have done a wonderful job in this beginners opinion!

I'm glad you see some potential here. Let me know if there is anything in my description that doesn't make sense, or that isn't clear enough from the pictures. And any suggestions for improvements that your dh comes up with - just pass them along. I have a few flaws in my design, in the coop, and will take it down once I don't need it anymore and then rebuild it next time I need it. I can see this also working if I have to separate a hen or a rooster if there are pecking issues, or if I want to keep a hen and rooster apart for a bit to get eggs fertilized by the same breed.

Back
Top Bottom