Integrating young pullets with mature hens - what's the best age?

Great idea with the pool but I may add multiple escape routes. If your BR really wanted to, all she'd have to do is guard the one opening and they're stuck under the pool all day but she can't be in more than one place at a time.

Great idea with the pool but I may add multiple escape routes. If your BR really wanted to, all she'd have to do is guard the one opening and they're stuck under the pool all day but she can't be in more than one place at a time.

That's kind of what I was thinking too. Thanks so much for all your encouragement and help.

So today I set up some escape routes thru the fence for the littles and all seems to be working fine. They are going thru to the bigs side and then running back thru when the bigs get aggressive. We had some old beat up laundry baskets so I turned them upside down, cut holes in one side just big enough for the littles and big ones on the other side. I then attached them to the fence and now they have 3 escapes to their side of the run.
yesss.gif

Here are some updated photos of the coop. I painted it purple a few weeks ago. I still have to paint the trim white and the frame for the door that I use.
Nest boxes covered with curtains, window, and their door.

One view of the front with the window, ladder, and the door I use to enter the run.

Another view of the front.

The back of the coop. The black tube is the waterer. We wrapped it with heat tape, insulation, and gorilla tape. This keeps it form freezing in the winter. There are nipples on the bottom part that hangs under the coop. Their food is in the 5 gallon bucket with PVC elbows in it.

These are the roosts. There is more than enough for all of them but the bigs all squish onto the top of the ladder. Two of the littles have been using the side and the other one has been on the bottom of the ladder.

This is the bigs side of the run. A large dog crate in the corner for shade and tires to play on. They get on top of the tires and play queen of the hill. There are 2 dust baths filled with sand, dirt, and a little DE. I got a plastic chair for me that is upside down so they don't poo on it. They love to climb on that too.

These are my beautiful littles. Whiting Wellsummer Hybrids from a breeder in Delta Colorado. They are my absolute favorite breed and I'm soooo glad I got them.

These are the bigs hanging in the shade under the misters. It's a scorcher today. Right now it's 103.5* in my back yard. The misters cool the run by about 20*. We are going to hang a huge tarp over the run so they have more shade from this heat. It's never this hot here this early in the year so I think we're in for a bad summer and they'll need it. I also have frozen water bottles in the coop to try and cool it off.

I have been giving them grapes, coleslaw w/o the sauce, and frozen watermelon to snack on since it's so hot. I also do green juicing and all the leftover pulp goes to the birds, THEY LOVE IT! I read that scratch is not good for them when it's this hot since it heats them up. Does anyone know if this is accurate? They really love their scratch but I don't want to make them any hotter when it's this hot outside.

Gotta go hang a tarp now and hope that I don't fry in the process
sickbyc.gif

So today I set up some escape routes thru the fence for the littles and all seems to be working fine. They are going thru to the bigs side and then running back thru when the bigs get aggressive. We had some old beat up laundry baskets so I turned them upside down, cut holes in one side just big enough for the littles and big ones on the other side. I then attached them to the fence and now they have 3 escapes to their side of the run.
yesss.gif

These are the bigs hanging in the shade under the misters. It's a scorcher today. Right now it's 103.5* in my back yard. The misters cool the run by about 20*. We are going to hang a huge tarp over the run so they have more shade from this heat. It's never this hot here this early in the year so I think we're in for a bad summer and they'll need it. I also have frozen water bottles in the coop to try and cool it off.

I have been giving them grapes, coleslaw w/o the sauce, and frozen watermelon to snack on since it's so hot. I also do green juicing and all the leftover pulp goes to the birds, THEY LOVE IT! I read that scratch is not good for them when it's this hot since it heats them up. Does anyone know if this is accurate? They really love their scratch but I don't want to make them any hotter when it's this hot outside.

Gotta go hang a tarp now and hope that I don't fry in the process
sickbyc.gif
Escapes look great!
Shade is the most important..and lots of cool water.....misting is great in a dry climate.
I dump piles of ice cubes on the ground in the shade and in a large shallow pan.

I am still having some issues, although maybe I'm just more worried than I should be and over-thinking things. My three pullets who I am trying to integrate are now about 12 weeks - they are getting big! They have been gradually introduced to the adult hens since the time they were old enough to be outside. They all free range in my backyard together with relatively no incidents, although the littles still run away from the adults if they so much as look at them. Currently when they are not free ranging, the littles are kept in a separate section of the run - just divided by chicken wire from the main run, so really they are side by side with the rest of the hens. This is fine for everyone, no scuffles through the chicken wire or anything. They do sleep in another coop at night right now. We have expanded the run so that everyone has ample room while not free-ranging, and we have multiple feeders/waterers so no one has to compete over food. I had the chicken wire divider halfway up the other day to encourage mingling within the run and there weren't any super serious scuffles, but one of my EE's did jump on & peck two of the littles. No blood or anything and she didn't chase them afterwards. But the littles are still so scared and not confident that they will constantly run away from any of the adults or hid in the coop and it's been way to hot here for that!

It sounds like you are doing such a good job keeping them cool!! I have been providing a LOT of ice water with electrolytes. We're in Texas...blah.

I am still having some issues, although maybe I'm just more worried than I should be and over-thinking things.  My three pullets who I am trying to integrate are now about 12 weeks - they are getting big!  They have been gradually introduced to the adult hens since the time they were old enough to be outside.  They all free range in my backyard together with relatively no incidents, although the littles still run away from the adults if they so much as look at them.  Currently when they are not free ranging, the littles are kept in a separate section of the run - just divided by chicken wire from the main run, so really they are side by side with the rest of the hens.  This is fine for everyone, no scuffles through the chicken wire or anything.  They do sleep in another coop at night right now.  We have expanded the run so that everyone has ample room while not free-ranging, and we have multiple feeders/waterers so no one has to compete over food.  I had the chicken wire divider halfway up the other day to encourage mingling within the run and there weren't any super serious scuffles, but one of my EE's did jump on & peck two of the littles.  No blood or anything and she didn't chase them afterwards.  But the littles are still so scared and not confident that they will constantly run away from any of the adults or hid in the coop and it's been way to hot here for that!
It normal for the younger ones to stay away from the adults, it will be a year or so before everyone freely mingles. The young ones will stay in there own group more or less for the rest of their lives. They are young and the young run, make sure they have places outside to hide, something to go under is always a favorite.

Ditto Dat^^^^

Even after they freely mingle as adults, there can be separate sub-flocks.....
.....there are even often 'sub-flocks' amongst same age, hatch mates, 'all grew up from chicks together' flocks.
Thank you! Them keeping their distance doesn't bother me, I just didn't want the babies to become too stressed by constantly running away from the adults, especially in the heat.

Back
Top Bottom