Integrating young pullets with mature hens - what's the best age?

How do you keep the hens eating the right food?

I have my big girls on layer ration.  The babies are still eating chick starter (non-medicated).

I read that the babies shouldn't eat layer till they are close to the point of lay which won't be till closer to 6 months.  Do I keep them separated that entire time?
Just feed the non medicated starter to everyone. Keep a separate bowl of oyster shells out. I don't use layer anymore as I find it doesn't have enough protein to support backyard flocks where extra stuff is feed. I feed an All Flock and a non medicated chick starter. They will eat more oyster shells.

I use soap and water. We have two chairs we use when sitting with our chicks. We have two groups one is 16 weeks and the littles are 11 weeks, we tried integrating them last weekend when we let them all "free range" but had the same issue as @chickenlady1150 once the bigger ones noticed the littles they cornered them and attacked. So I guess we'll continue trying each weekend when I'm home and have time and there are grandkids around to help me protect the littles as well as for "Hawk Patrol" as my 6 year old grandson Max said last Sunday. For now they'll have to remain in their individual chicken yards under the shade screen.

I too was hoping to take down the fence that divides them as currently the littles don't have as much room as the large ones and the shade screen is starting to kill the grass. I don't think it's getting enough sun through it.

I have my big girls on layer ration. The babies are still eating chick starter (non-medicated).

I read that the babies shouldn't eat layer till they are close to the point of lay which won't be till closer to 6 months. Do I keep them separated that entire time?
I like to feed a flock raiser/grower/finisher 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I do grind up the crumbles (in the blender) for the chicks for the first week or so.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

I've done this once before and it worked like a charm. Last summer and this summer I've integrated pullets with the hens. I put a small chicken coop in my large run so that the older hens have a "look but no touch" experience. I do this for about 3 weeks. Both times when I let the pullets loose, the older hens have been great. Some pecking but no blood shed. All the hens and pullets are in groups of three...meaning I've purchased three at a time so that when they're introduced at least they have a little clan.

I have nine 15 week olds, and three 8 week olds. A couple of days ago, we moved their runs adjacent from each other. I haven't dared try to introduce the little ones in yet. Too scared. We can't free range at this time, as our neighbor decided to take the privacy fence down, and I can't watch the run all day. I figured I'd wait until the little ones reach 12 weeks, and then get them moved in on a weekend when we can keep a closer eye on things, or at least be within earshot in case they decide to throw down. That way we can pull the aggressors out and put them in timeout for the day. I like the idea of trying to keep them busy with something, too. New bedding, new foods, etc. If I DO get a wild hair, I might try putting the little ones in there before 12 weeks 1-2 hours before they usually go to roost, and see what happens. If all goes well, I'll probably let them spend the night.

Last edited:
I like to feed a flock raiser/grower/finisher 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I do grind up the crumbles (in the blender) for the chicks for the first week or so.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

Thanks. I tried this the last two times I integrated babies. But each time one of the adults got a soft shelled egg stuck in them and had to be put down. So I'm really hesitant to do that. Maybe the key is to keep everyone on chick starter and never transition them. But my big girls are already on layer.

As long as you offer supplemental calcium, it should not be an issue. I'm guessing it was just a matter of coincidental timing. But, what ever works for you, that's what you should keep doing.

As long as you offer supplemental calcium, it should not be an issue. I'm guessing it was just a matter of coincidental timing. But, what ever works for you, that's what you should keep doing.

I always have a bowl of oyster shells out or the hens. But maybe it's just not enough. I don't know.

My babies are three months old. They've been outside w/ the hens for 6 weeks now and for the most part they get along when free ranging. But I'll keep them separated in the run so they eat their respective feed till the babies are at the point of lay.

I have my big girls on layer ration. The babies are still eating chick starter (non-medicated).

I read that the babies shouldn't eat layer till they are close to the point of lay which won't be till closer to 6 months. Do I keep them separated that entire time?

You hear a lot of things. Now you'll hear that it just doesn't matter all that much....been feeding all birds layer ration for a long time now.

Back
Top Bottom