Integrating young pullets with mature hens - what's the best age?

I had been doing that with the minor stuff, but when they had her pinned down and were pecking her I kind of freaked out. Integrating is not for sissies, that's for sure!
1f60a.png

Thanks for your help!
hugs.gif
I'm not sure I could watch if they had her pinned down and were pecking her. All it would take would be a little bit of blood and from what I've read it becomes a free for all. Maybe some more experienced people could weigh in?

That's why I said to not go to the coop at roost time.
wink.png
No, it's not a free for all and I've never seen the pecking order produce blood on any bird of mine, no matter the age difference. The pecking is done to produce a desired response and when the response is given, the pecking stops. This is repeated every evening and in every chicken coop around the world and since the beginning of time...it's not an odd or aggressive behavior and it's completely normal.

I've enjoyed reading through this thread... lots of good info and personal experiences too. We're soon to be doing an integration as well. We have 3 RIR hens 2 yr old and gonna add 7 20 week old pullets. Right now the 3 mature hens are in our chicken tractor and the other 7 younger hens are in the main coop / run. My plan is to work my way towards the main coop / run with the tractor and let them see each other for a few days then just cut the barrier fencing between the 2 groups and let them work it out I guess. They're all full grown birds so I hope it will be ok. the birds will have 2 coops to choose from and room to roam.

I'm thinking of making the chicken tractor i built into a permanent fixture as it weighs upwards of 250 # and is a bit much to move. I think i can just provide grass clippings daily along with their feed and good clean water. That covers about 8 months / yr. During the winter i alternate between kale / collards, cabbage, frozen mixed vegetables in addition to their layer feed. I'm hoping this will all work out

The one important thing that I think is being overlooked in SOME back yard flocks during integration: Coop/run too small for the existing flock to allow younger birds being integrated enough space to "get away" from their aggressors. If there is not enough room for the youngsters to retreat to a socially acceptable distance, the aggression will continue without relent. Those coops need to be big enough, and those runs big enough to allow alternate perching that is out of reach of the beaks of the old biddies. They also need hiding places that are not dead end. "Out of sight, out of mind" fits the mentality of most chickens.

I agree! Another thing that has always served me well is culling for temperament. No amount of eggs or pretty plumage is worth the rest of the flock living in constant wariness of a cranky bird that can't get along with the rest of the flock without constantly bullying another bird. Nasty chickens taste like....chicken.

If I see hens that are consistently pecking other birds outside of feeding and roosting time and they have no apparent reasoning behind it such as protecting chicks, those birds are marked for culling. Oddly enough, those also seem to be the birds with the worst production in the flock, so culling them becomes a dual benefit....could be the hormone deficiency that keeps them from being a good layer also turns them to needless aggression towards others.

frow.gif
Something that has been on my mind is that we've never addressed where those chicks are coming from. No problem with days olds, but I'd worry about anything over 5 weeks being introduced. Shouldn't they be quarantined if they come from another flock or even a hatchery?

frow.gif
Something that has been on my mind is that we've never addressed where those chicks are coming from. No problem with days olds, but I'd worry about anything over 5 weeks being introduced. Shouldn't they be quarantined if they come from another flock or even a hatchery?

That depends on your flock management methods. I never quarantine so I never gear advice towards that eventuality.

Happy this thread as been started. I read as though it's the continuing sage of a good show/movie....I can't wait until the next episode. I am new to raising chicks and I too will be integrating new chicks to my existing young flock. I am reading some really good ideas and learning what not to do. I envisioned the integration process being a little challenging but I'm reading were it could be an absolute nightmare. I am hoping for the best.

I decided, based on the wisdom here, that I should get the integration going tonight. I decided to do a social hour when the sun begins to set. Bring the 9ish week olds into the run with the 16 week olds. I'm going to bring in a chair and a couple ears of sweetcorn. I'll just sit and watch tonight, and remove the younger ones afterwards back to their own run, and do it again twice tomorrow. Slowly, I'll increase their visits and decrease my presence as they get more comfortable and I see they're behaving themselves. Also, I'll try to the little ones to use an escape spot until they get closer to the size of the others.

Back
Top Bottom